The Good, The Bad & The Ugly--Mississippi State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Sep 21, 2014.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I think we get way too caught up in star rankings for players. They are truly meaningless. For every five star we whiff on, there is a three star who is a key contributor (that speaks to player development.) The number of guys we have drafted each year also speaks to player development.

Randle had a very successful junior year, when he was finally the top WR. Before that, he was further down the depth chart. It happens all the time. Landry wasn't the star he was as a junior when he was a sophomore. I don't believe Randle was a disappointment or a wasted talent.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He's the head coach! It's his team and his neck on the line. There is not a head coach in the country that simply turns over his offense and defense to his coordinators and does not take any part in the game.

StaceyO, MikeInLa and LSUDad like this.
  3. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

I wasn't happy with the play calling or OL/DL play myself. I think everyone underestimated MSU and it bit them in the ass. I'd love to see a more aggressive play calling the rest of the season. And I hope MSU wins out, or at least beat Ole Miss and Bama.
    I hope that game was an eye opener and our coaches and players have a chip on their shoulders now.
    We still have plenty of football left to play and I'm ready to move on to the next game. Skull frick NMSU and then kick Auburn in the ass.

StaceyO, red55 and COTiger like this.
  4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

lol@ you for thinking we will beat Auburn. Same kinda of offense as MSU with a better QB and defense.

5. gyver

They didn't think we had a chance last year either.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

bs, we played them early on when they didnt know what they had as a team, we were established, they werent. Auburn bloomed late in the year.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. gyver

Fixed it for you.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I get that, and it is certainly his prerogative. My opinion is that he is involved too much on the offensive game planning. Chavis' defense is different than Bo's, and MalVeto's were. The defense has Chief's fingerprint b/c CLM allows him to do his job. I am sure he rubber-stamps it, and wants to know what the strategy is week to week, and gives some input to that, but all in all he seems to let Chavis do his job. I think he should do the same on the offense. It's hard to tell the difference b/t the offensive strategies from GC to Stud to CCC, IMO. Occasionally, it looks like CCCs offense, and it appears we are turning a corner, then it is back to run, run, pass on 3rd and long. I seriously doubt the game plan this past week against MSU was 90% Cameron's, but I'll bet the defense was 90% Chief's. If he let CCC design the game plan and left it 90% that way, we'd be leading the nation in offense week after week. CCCs strategies every where he's been usually involves TEs, and RBs in his passing game plan, isn't afraid to air it out when it's not predictable (i.e. not just when it's 3rd and long) and would pass more on 1st downs prior to the 2nd half.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Based on what? Cameron doesn't have to hang around LSU if Miles is handicapping him. The guy can get a top job.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its hard to believe that if Cam were totally free to run the offense as he wants that they would be committed to the power I with the only two QBs being dual threat guys who played in the spread in high school.

shane0911 and P&G_wheelz007 like this.