The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly -- Wisconsin game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Aug 31, 2014.

1. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Really impressive when you look at how often we trail in the fourth quarter.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Hilliard lost a few pounds from last year, bad weight. This is his money year, plus gonna have that degree in hand. His step looked lots better than last year. We played a number of Red-Shirt guys and True Freshmen last night, a bunch of players grew up last night, they can only get better. Quinn as the game went on, looked to settle into his position last nigh as good as anyone. I said this before, Quinn is the type of player that Cam likes, can do too many things.
    The staff will look back at the film and take from this game, you hear a team improves so much more from the first game to the second.
    You have to remember, many of these 18 and 19 year old kids were going against many 5 year Srs. I said a big win, but is was, not in the score, but to be down by that much and respond, never loose their cool, just keep playing LSU Football.
    The OL were getting better as the game was going on, an yes Wiskey lost a few players, if was a hard fought game, LSU looked like Jalen Collins was one of the few that went down in-game for the Tigers.

The Offense, were getting a full rush all night, the Wiskey Defense did a great job of getting a push up front, fill gaps and shadowing, at times stacking behind a DL.
    As for the Defense, I like what the DB's were doing, Adams got into the game late and also played well in Special Teams. Davon Gaudchaux, Tashawn Bower, Duke Riley, Donnie Alexander, Lewis Neal, and Deondre Clark, all came in an got in some playing time.

The LSU defense allowed only 28 yards in the final 27:24 of the game. That tells you LSU was playing the full game, coaches often talk about playing the entire game, and finishing a game. LSU did that last night. 12:24 left in the 3rd quarter was the last W would score. From there, LSU had 21 unanswered points.

In all 12 players got their first taste of college ball for the first time,
    33 Jamal Adams (special teams), 48 Donnie Alexander (special teams/punt return), 98 Deondre Clark (DE), 9 John Diarse (WR/special teams), 14 Trent Domingue (special teams/kickoffs), 7 Leonard Fournette (RB/special teams), 57 Davon Godchaux (DT), 6 Brandon Harris (QB), 44 Colin
    Jeter (TE), 47 John David Moore (special teams), 24 Ed Paris (special teams), 8 Trey Quinn (WR/special teams).

A total of 91 True Freshmen have now played under Les in his tenure as Head Coach at LSU.

Bengal B and TigerTap like this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is only weekend one and stats are meaningless as forecasts, of course. Especially for all of the teams that played cupcakes. LSU played an equally ranked team and will certainly improve. But right now, out of 133 FBS schools LSU is . . .

#6 in pass defense
    #42 in total defense
    #65 in scoring defense
    #99 in rushing defense

#1 in passing yards per completion
    #62 in passing offense
    #69 in scoring offense
    #81 in total offense
    #84 in rushing offense

#30 in net punting
    #20 in turnover margin
    #42 in kickoff returns
    #60 in punt returns
    #66 in fewest penalties per game

#40 in time of possession
    #64 in tackles for loss

LSU has much room for improvement if it is to finish in the top-10. As the season progresses and these numbers become more valid, you can bet that the Playoff Committee will be looking at the stats carefully.

Pintoracer and LSUDad like this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Thanks Red, nice stats

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You mean the only coach that earned his pay last night

6. Mezmorizor

Mezmorizor Founding Member

From what I've heard, you're severely underestimating Moo U. I didn't get to watch their game, but I've heard that they're seriously a good team this year. Scarier than teams like Ole Miss and Florida at the very least.

7. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Stunning that Wisconsin even tried to pass with the way their running game was going.

Richdog likes this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Impressed with the teams' resilience. Impressed with taking the points as they came rather than pressing for TDs.

We have a lot of young players and it showed, but they showed backbone and pulled out the win. I was glad Miles gave Harris a shot; we all know he isn't ready now (no shame in that).

Impressed with the WRs, Jennings, and Hilliard. I think we're going to have a real QB in Jennings and I look forward to seeing him mature. Fornette looked like a rookie and McGee looked like supporting cast.

Defense took a while to get it together, but they stepped up too. Good team win that makes me optimistic. Looking forward to two weeks to iron some stuff out. Saw a lot out of this young team that I liked.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Play nice, it was a win.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I heard the RB lipped off to coaches at half. Not sure if true, but glad to pass along unsubstantiated rumors.