Republicans The GOP's Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

He disassociated himself when Wright started flapping his gums after the campaign had started, 17 years later. Would you or most folks for that matter sit and listen that long if you didn't have some agreement? I wouldn't. Also, you are 100% correct, he was not a 60's radical. He was a late 80's radical who hung around with Marxists. The below is taken from FactCheck
    Actual quote from "Dreams from My Father" [pg. 100-101]: To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed necolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy. When we ground out our cigarettes in the hallway carpet or set our stereos so loud that the walls began to shake, we were resisting bourgeois society’s stifling constraints. We weren’t indifferent or careless or insecure. We were alienated. But this strategy alone couldn’t provide the distance I wanted, from Joyce or my past. After all, there were thousands of so-called campus radicals, most of them white and tenured and happily tolerated. No, it remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.

2. Tiger Exile

If I believed all the stuff I can find out about him on Google, I would believe he is an Indonesian born, Muslim plant that will declare Marshall Law before the next election and declare himself the supreme leader. I'm glad you know all about him from Google.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

At least Reagan never called a Marine a Corpseman.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

He is though.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are rotten to the corpse.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's funny. You think that more guilt by association answers guilt by association. Were you were a milk-and-cookies fraternity boy or something? What could someone try to make of your college associations? Me . . . I hung out with rock musicians, bikers, and dopers of every ilk. I hung out with scientists and philosophers and artsy-fartsy girls. We were all politicized because we grew up during the Vietnam War, but the politics ran in every freaking direction. I knew zoned-out acidheads, political radicals (one of whom was later the first hippie SGA president at LSU), Hari Krishnas, Jesus freaks, lesbian feminists, Young Republicans, Iranian Students Against the Shah, sorority girls, disciples of yoga gurus, jarhead ROTC's, dopehead ROTC's, Shaggy and Scooby, Wayne and Garth, and Jews for Jesus. In the dorms at night we discussed politics, pussy, literature, underground comic books, drugs, philosophy and trivia. There was a cultural revolution going on and we were immersed in it--long hair, embroidered jeans and all.

And now we are professors, executives, lawyers, craftsmen, soldiers, artists, clergymen, doctors, and yes . . . politicians. Teenagers are rebellious, have big dreams, weird friends, and innate naivety. They go to college and get away from Mom and Dad at last. They kick their heels, act out, and enjoy those last few years of childish daydreams.

Then they get real, get jobs, get families, and they grow up.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You did not pay attention to my comments. Pity.

Do you actually believe that the public has been deceived about Obama deliberately by the media? Make your case.

8. Tiger Exile

The pity is you ignored my point completely and cherry picked what you wanted to make some kind of a point. I was showing where the media focused in minutia everything about Romney and blew past Obama. You say they were hard on him in 2008 which is laughable. I already showed where two highly respected "newsmen" admitted they knew nothing about him after he won. Really deep research on their part. I couldn't give a rats rear who you hung around with in college. Obama continued to hang out with Marxists and radicals AFTER college, including an appointee Van Jones, an admitted radical.

9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Good point and I have a theory about that: I think everyone in their right mind knew that Romney was not a whacko and that he had a reputation for being a pragmatic governor, but where he ran into trouble was with his party and many of the positions that Romney had to espouse in order to win the nomination cost him dearly in the general. If the Republicans can do a better job of squelching their fundamentalist voices then someone like Jeb will have a real chance.

mobius481 likes this.
  10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

there was no such thing as a Taliban when Reagan was president.