Republicans The GOP's Presidential Candidates

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 28, 2015.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

4th amendment?

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I'm not sure what you are asking. At the time, I think the 4th was an important measure to limit the size and scope of the federal government. The privacy issue is completely separate from the personal body privacy issue that Roe v Wade implied precisely because it required the definition of when life begins. SC justices shouldn't be making that decision IMO.

3. LSUMASTERMIND

I think its broad enough to cover it all.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

trump is a terrible example of self-made.

The "master dealmaker" got hosed by Merv Griffin in the Resorts deal and then made a fool out of himself taking NBC's threat to move out of Rockefeller Center seriously and spending a fortune making a bid for something everyone knew wasn't going to happen.

I think it was the second time he went bust when the banks said "Fool me once..." so he went to the family to beg for a $500 million loan to keep the door open. Around that time the only property he had that made a profit was that hotel by Grand Central, but he only owned 49% of it, so the adults never let him screw it up.

He lost his airline, his big boat, and damn near everything else over the years, and his actual ownership of Trump whatever was knocked down to around 5%. Some say his primary income is from renting his name out and the TV show.

At one point he had no authority to do anything at all-- the retired CFO of GE was brought in by his creditors to supervise the place, and stopped the genius from doing anything else stupid before he blew it all again.

But, the arrogant piece of shit still yaps on about what a brilliant operator he is, as if none of this happened.

he's filed for chapter 11 at least 4 times and has duped the system so to speak. his actual worth is overstated by his bankrupt properties.

that being said, ill vote for any non career politician over any of the idiot crooks who stand for and will change nothing except try to get reelected. id rather an idiot from the outside than the inside. but they are clearly all idiots or at least treat us like we are.

5. LSUMASTERMIND

the problem is during the process, they become the insider. Its like a disease.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

of course. but id rather one who is just beginning their initiation from either side over one knee-deep in lobbyists checks.

Bengal B and LSUMASTERMIND like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Another problem with Trump is that he is almost as unlikable as Hillary. No truly unlikable personality has been elected since Richard Nixon. If Trump got the nomination he would be cancelling out Hillary's natural bitchy despicableness. I don't think any other Demo has any real chance of knocking the Former First Bitch out of the nomination unless her shenanigans catch up with her and she is indicted for something. How old is she? 65? 66? They didn't bring Whitey Bulger to justice until he was past 80.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

While the National Enquirer isn't exactly respected as a bastion of good journalism they did break the Monica Lewinsky story first. Now they say the reason Hillzilla wiped here server clean is that some of the emails contained references to her lesbian lovers:

The National Enquirer — the original source of the Monica Lewinsky scandal — published a story in April alleging that Clinton wiped her personal email server clean because it contained references to her lesbian lovers.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I supported that idea for a long time, but it became clear that what I had considered to be a semantics issue was deeply felt by gays as well as by traditionalists. It did not seem "equal treatment under the law" without the same terminology. The term is apparently important to everybody. To me all legal issues including the "marriage license" could be a civil union and everybody gets the same civil license. Marriage could remain a religious/social term in its traditional form for churches who refuse to accept gays in their religious rituals.

I do not think the succinct document was intended to cover all things for all time. It seem clear to me that the founders made a document that was broadly worded and intended to be flexible, modifiable, and updated as society evolves. Most nations rewrite their Constitution frequently. We have never had to because the document is not inflexible at all.

For instance the constitution gives us the freedom of speech. But freedom of speech is understood two centuries later as a multi-faceted right that includes not only the right to express or disseminate, information and ideas, but also the right to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas.

The founders could not know of radio, television and the Internet, but the Constitution can be interpreted to include electronic and computer journalism under freedom of the press. All natural systems evolve including social and legal systems. The best ones allow for and accommodate this.

But I think it was. It carefully covered the issues of privacy in their time. The Bill of Rights reflects the concern of the framers for protecting specific aspects of privacy, such as the privacy of beliefs (1st Amendment), privacy of the home against demands that it be used to house soldiers (3rd Amendment), privacy of the person and possessions as against unreasonable searches (4th Amendment), and the 5th Amendment's privilege against self-incrimination, which provides protection for the privacy of personal information.

In addition, the Ninth Amendment states that the "enumeration of certain rights" in the Bill of Rights "shall not be construed to deny or disparage other rights retained by the people." This means that there are other rights not "enumerated" within the document that are retained as valid in the Bill of Rights. This is important for strict adherents to understand.

Surely the framers could not have dreamed of the kind of privacy invasion that modern electronics, photography/videography, the Internet and other technological advances have created. But they did make it possible to include other basic rights that were not specifically stated to cover instances that they could not yet fathom.

But that is exactly their job! It was understood that political and social disagreements would arise and that the final arbiter would be the Supreme Court who had the duty to define and interpret the Constitution to cover whatever arose. The Constitution cannot be a static document and remain relevant to an evolving reality.

We have hundreds of legal rights that do not appear in the Constitution. They need only be consistent with the principles of the Constitution and it is the responsibility of the Court to determine what does and does not.

They have that right. You have the right to disagree and stand in the parade against it. Freedom is always a good thing.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Isn't this interesting . . .

When I made the exact same argument for Hillary, you refused to accept it and insisted that she was a liar. So I ask you . . . how could Trump be broke when he turned right around and made $4 billion dollars. :D:D:D

Unlike the Clintons, who paid off their creditors through their subsequent earnings, Trump stiffed his creditors through bankruptcy.