The Hobbit

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 11, 2013.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If they are using it, then it is also mentioned in LOTR. The Tolkien estate will never sell the right to Silmarillion until Christopher Tolkien is dead. Maybe not even then.

2. red55

Galadriel called the White Council into being. It consisted of the Istari wizards and the Eldar Lords of which Galadriel was one. Tolkien describes Galadriel as "the mightiest and fairest of all the Elves that remained in Middle-earth" after the death of Gil-galad.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Where does it say she was part of the white council? She is one of the most powerful because she is a Noldor that came into Beleriand with Feanor although I think she was one that was left to cross the Hellcaraxe, but I can't remember for sure if she was one of those or part of the kinslaying of the Teleri.

4. red55

The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, page 300.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Most of the movie was good... but just like with the Lord of the Rings movies, I hated the changes made by P. Jackson... Not to mention that fact that he can just be a tad bit corny.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

U blokes are dorks

Winston1 likes this.
  7. red55

Says the rabid Harry Potter aficionado . . .

LOTR, if faithful to Tolkien's story and dialog, would have been a 52-hour movie. Not even LaSalle or I could sit through it. He also had to punch up the few female characters if he expected to get females to come to the theater. Hobbit, as written, has no female characters at all.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

I confess I am a dork and I am gonna see the hobbit tonight at the united artists Kaufman studios Astoria theater in queens New York. I am looking forward to seein what those lil hobbits are up to these days.

No chance it is a good as zero dark thirty, which was a edge of the seat thrilla.

9. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Im sad about this, I havent seen it yet, its hard to go the movies when you have a 2 year old. i havent been to the movies in about 2 years or more.

10. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Its been a while since I watchd LotR, but one of the main changes I absolutely hated was Aragorn. In the books he is proud of his lineage and eager to take up the mantle of king. In the movies he is reluctant, almost to the point of being cowardly.

Speaking of changes... I read that there will be a major female character in parts two and three of The Hobbit...