The Hobbit

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 11, 2013.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

At least you're considerate and don't bring him with you.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

It was better than any of the lotr trilogy

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You liked it Martin? I didn't at first because I saw it in 3D and that was excruciating for my eyeballs, plus I had just smoked 3 bowls of headband, but after seeing it regularly I loved it.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

Yeah it was ok, I did not fall alsleep. It was no zd30

3d is terrible and should always be avoided

Wait a sec u smoke weed?

5. LaSalleAve

Man tell me about it, that one ruined it for me. I felt sick watching it in 3d. Yeah I've been known to partake in the consumption of old toby.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That was my casting issue as well. Aragorn was kind of a whispering, self-doubting pussy. He was scruffy instead of weatherbeaten, like a ranger should have been. Never very kingly. The more rugged Sean Bean should have played Aragorn. Viggo should have played the self-doubting Faramir and would have nailed the role better than he did as Aragorn.

7. LaSalleAve

Sean Bean can't play a character that lives. But I get what you are saying, in the movies Aaragorn doesn't want to be king, and shuns the idea because he has isildur's blood, but in the books from the time the council meets at rivendell, Aaragorn knows his day is coming and does not shun the idea.

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

I'm curious about The Hobbit Part 3. It is supposed to cover the time period between The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. Part of this has to involve Gollum. He leaves his cave and begins to look for the ring. One of the more disturbing parts of his story is about him crawling through windows and stealing babies to eat. He is captured by Aragorn and given over to the elves, who let him escape. Sauron returns to Mordor and begins open war against Gondor. Osgiliath is overrun. Seems that Jackson may go with a SW:E3 feel for this one... leaves things on a down note.

9. LaSalleAve

They aren't going to do that part because Viggo hasn't been asked to reprise his role. The next 2 movies are going to be just like the first, it's going to be the Hobbit story that is taken from the book, and alot of stuff from the appendices.
    Spoilers for those who haven't read
    This is how I see it, movie 2 will involve the beorn, more getting chased by the white Orc, the spiders, the necromancer part will be expanded on, getting caught by the elves, escaping to laketown, and the vanquishing of smaug. Movie 3 will be primarily about the battle of 5 armies, more necromancer expansion, the death of the pale Orc, and the journey home, along with some scenes that bridge the 2 series together more, but the whole hunt for gollum I think will be excluded.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Agreed. They are no longer going to do a bridge movie. The Necromancer story will be interspliced with the main story in all three parts.

I think Part 2 will end when Smaug smashes the back door and traps the Company in the mountain. They have to end it on a suspenseful note as a teaser.

The going home part is very short in the book and they can't expand it much, its a denouement. Part 3 will likely be the vanquishing of Smaug and the Battle of Five armies and the Necromancer wrap-up.