News The Ice Bucket Challenge

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Aug 21, 2014.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

An issue with raising money for cancer is that cancer is not just 1 disease. Komen raises millions every year to research treat breast cancer. That really does not help someone with pancreatic cancer. The ACS raises millions to research and treat all kinds of cancers but there still is a pecking order. A universal cure, that would be great but so far impossible.

My wife died from a rare cancer, Adrenal Cortical Carcinoma. It affects ~ 300 people a year in the USA. Not much money trickles down that far. Bo Schembechler's wife died of ACC so there is some research and funding through name recognition.

So has anyone taken the challenge?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sorry for your loss, manca. There isn't much interest in developing drugs that would only be sold to a few people. My mother had colon cancer. I don't know how much of the cancer money goes to that. Its not one of the "sexy" cancers like lung and breasts. She was diagnosed with it in 1985. The surgery didn't remove all the bad cells but she had two more years of mostly good quality life other than the chemo treatments. She died in 1987. She was only 68

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Cancer is the absolute devil. In the past year, two co-workers have been battling it. One with breast cancer and one with bone cancer in her thigh. She's lost the bone and is waiting for surgery to replace it to see if she'll ever walk again.

The worst of all is that one of my 13-year-old's best friend's was just diagnosed with cancer, as well. She has an inoperable tumor behind one of her eyes and fifteen months of chemo ahead of her. I don't know what the end result of all of that is actually supposed to be.

As for the challenge: I've been challenged and haven't had time yet to take it because I've had something going every night this week and really haven't had anyone to film the damn thing (because I want to do something creative.)

But I hate anything that is a follow the leader sort of thing. I would rather just donate the money and not go through with the attention-whoring, look-at-me-I'm-so-socially-conscious video aspect of it.

5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Will it be G rated? :D

On a more serious note, I lost both my parents and a couple of grandparents to cancer, so I'm all too familiar with the damned disease.

And I just got an email from a former coworker who has been diagnosed with AML cancer and the outlook is not good.

Hopefully, the researchers will find a cure soon.

6. StaceyO

I'm a teacher. It'll definitely be G rated. The problem is I want to include both of my daughters, and they simply haven't been at home at the same time while I still have daylight with which to work.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Let's rethink this Stacy. There is a lot of completion out there so if you want your video to go viral...... Are you familiar with the song Hot for Teacher by Van Halen?

8. StaceyO

Jeez--I don't want the thing to go viral! Worst nightmare material right there--along with the dream I had last night where I had another baby at 44. Holy crap! I woke up in a cold sweat!

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Write the check....don't worry about the video. Or put on a snow ski outfit and go right ahead. ;)

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member