"'The Inconvenient Truth' is indeed inconvenient to alarmists"

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, Jun 14, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Sure, you already have a notch.

But are you the Willie-esque dude that used to sit in left field with Knuck and Donnie?

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

OK, he's the only scientist on earf who says Global Warming cannot be caused by CO2............

So I guess when you have a bunch of "scientists" saying the earf is flat and some who say it's round, because those who say it is flat outnumber or are louder than the others, they win.

OK, now I see how your scientific method is met. The louder the better.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I have relatives that just moved back to the lower 48 after living again in
    Anchorage the last few years.
    They told me they had NO Snow but also had green grass on Christmas Day
    there.
    They lived up there for about 12 years and I lived there for a total of about
    7 years.
    I assure anyone that wierd weather is indeed happening up there and everywhere else in the world.

I would agree with Martin and yourself, I've always said that I don't think
    humans should get as much credit as they do for this kind of thing.
    If we can alter the weather then we should be able to alter it how we see fit.
    Part of my proof is the following:

I have read articles about ice caps melting on Mars and posted a ling in the roundtable quite some time ago.
    The earth spins on its axis like a top, if that axis changes so can the climate
    change.
    We've had some kind of global warming since the Ice Age, a natural trend.
    The new Endangered species is the Ice Worm!

Btw: I take with a grain a salt what scientists from either side say, they don't know eveything and are finding
    new discoveries all the time so they are often incorrect!

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The Flat Earth Society

5. red55

Nope, don't know those two.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i definitely agree with that, particularly in climate science, which to appears to a be a crapshoot. who knows what the crazy ass earth is doing.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think you are misunderstanding me. When heat is applied to a gas, the mean free path of the particles becomes shorter and their relative velocities increase, thus transfering energy to the particles (kinetic molecular theory/conservation of energy). I suffered through 2 Thermo's as well as Heat Transfer. No remediation necessary, thanks.
    I have not once denied the natural heating and cooling processes of the earth. What I am saying is that I believe it is in the interests of future generations to minimize our contribution to these cycles. I think that many people tend to underestimate our impact. There are enormous amounts of substances being burned into the atmosphere that simply weren't several hundred or even thousands of years ago. Since the earth/atmosphere is virtually a 'closed system,' these by-products never really escape the environment. Therefore, it stands to reason that things would be worse off than prior to the industrial revolution.
    Yes, entropy. Believe me, no explanation necessary here either.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

right but that is not really an issue to consider when considering global warming. the issue is the heat of the sun being trapped and heating the earth. just forget that.

1. how do you know we are contributing and not restricting? how can you attribute the coninuing and constant change of the earth's climate to man? how can you explain that there have been times when the level of co2 (a primary greenhouse gas) was far greater than it is now, even though there were no humans?
    2. how do you know a change in climate doesnt provide a net benefit for the reasons i mentioned earlier?

why would we be worse off? we are certainly better off for all the industrialization. and just cecause something is burned doesnt mean the things released by the burning of fossil fuels are a negative. yunno, conservation of matter, nothing was created or destroyed, just some stuff got shuffled around. why is that bad? i dont see the point of unfounded generalizations. there have to be specific reasons by something hurts the earth and why we should care. the things you say are now in the environment were there before in a different form. when a living thing breathes in and eats and grows, taking elements from the environment and using them, then dies, and then becomes oil a million years later, why is it a negative to release those elements back by burning them? isnt that the same junk that they breathed in or ate or whatever a really long time ago? do you consider a natural forest fire to be bad for the envoriment? of course not. burning things up is simply a chemical change, that isnt necessarily bad or good.

again, there is a specific argument here, and that argument is whether greenhouse gases exist in the amount they do now because of humans, and whether they are negatively affecting humanity to an extent greater than the good we get from putting them there, if in fact they are there because of us.

like i said, one of the main issues is co2. and co2 has always been in the atmosphere. and at times before humans it was in greater amounts than now. and the earth heated and cooled before humans. imagine the kind of hot it took to bust the earth out of an ice age. what caused that? i know it wasnt us.

and the greenhouse effect is a natural phenomenon. we need it or we would freeze to death. it has always happened. and we are not even sure that the 1 degree or whatever increase over the lst hundred years is due to the greehouse effect or something else. maybe it is geothermal and the earth just tends to heat and cool, much like the sun tends to bombard us with more and less heat periodically. there are just so many factors to consider.

maybe it is the sun:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html

it is not simply "we burn stuff and that is bad for mother earth".

9. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

A couple of scientists say so thats why these guys believe it.
    It is a belief and not fact because if it was a fact more scientists would agree.
    About glacier retreat?
    I agree with what Red said but I don't get his point.
    Glaciers have been in retreat since before man had anything to do with it.
    Yes, they seem to be retreating faster and the sun seems to be at its
    hottest right now than in many years.
    Its going to be one hell of a hurricane season this year.

Mars Ice Caps are also melting and you can't blame man or CO2 for that.
    Must be the sun having similar results to Mars.
    That is my conclusion.

10. red55

It ain't a crapshoot to earth scientists, only to casual observers.