The "jumping into the endzone" penalty

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Nov 20, 2010.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

There's an old saying that's not in vogue in today's game.

Act like you've been there before.

2. CarolinaTiger61

CarolinaTiger61 Recently Repatriated

I believe Vince Lombardi said that. (You may have heard of him. Sean Payton and Drew Brees held up his trophy recently. :))

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I watched the Packers beat the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl and the Packers win Super Bowl I & II, so yes, I know who Vince Lombardi is. :wave:

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I agree with the "act like you've been there before" comment. I also love the new rule. Get them to quit acting like jackasses and play football.

5. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

So you're saying Cam Newton would never ever taunt anybody? :wave:

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

the penalty will be 15 yards from the spot of where the infraction was committed. If you dive after you get into the endzone I don't know if they do it 15 yards from the 1, or if they tack it onto the kickoff.

The thing is, players know that rule is in place, so why do it?

7. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

The rule isn't a travesty. Making a complete ass of yourself, attempting to embarass your opponent, and acting like you're playing Madden instead of real football is the travesty. Scoring a touchdown in any way at any level is plenty if fun by itself. I have no problem with the rule costing the team a touchdown. It's really simple: tell your idiot players not to do it and it's a non issue. I guarantee that no ref in America, even in the SEC, is going to flag a player for a legitimate dive into the endzone to avoid a tackle. Just for these self absorbed Nimrods who are trying to draw attention to themselves. If you're scoring a TD, everyone in the stadium and millions on TV are already watching you.

1 person likes this.
  8. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Yep. That is how I see it as well. Good comment! :geaux:

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I'm also in favor of this penalty. Showboating plays like that add nothing positive to the game. They can celebrate without it having to go to the point of disrespect and poor sportsmanship. Its been allowed to go on for too long, and its grown to the point where we have scenes like we saw today in the Cal/Stanford game, with entire teams facing off at midfield before the game even started to try and prove that they can all act like the biggest idiot. No thanks.

10. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

I agree 100%. Enough of the showboating and taunting. I can understand showing emotion at times; however, there's too much of this over the top stuff in the game today.

:geauxtige