The Legend of Ted Jackson

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

No typo. I said Ted, not Bo. But what Ted Jackson did equals or surpasses even the greatness of Bo Jackson.

Anyone can run seven marathons in seven days on seven continents if he or she is in great shape. Big deal.

But try it when you're middle-aged and pudgy, when you eat fast food night after night and train sporadically. Now that is an achievement.

Ted Jackson's kind of achievement.

Remember the John Belushi skit on "Saturday Night Live"? Looking nothing like Bruce Jenner, the Olympic decathlon champion at the time, Belushi laps the field to capture a gold medal. Then, with a cigarette in one hand, he looks into the camera and attributes his victory to the breakfast of champions: little chocolate donuts.

Ted Jackson is that guy -- but for real.

Well, most of the time he can say that. But not this past January, when he set off on the first World Marathon Challenge with a dozen other runners who were conspicuously fitter than Jackson. In seven days, they would run marathons in Antarctica, Chile, Miami, Madrid, Morocco, Dubai and Sydney. That's 183.4 miles in a week. On all seven continents. With only a single night spent in a real bed, the rest on planes, or on the floors of airports.

http://espn.go.com/sports/endurance...unusual-marathoner-ted-jackson-unique-journey

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

not to hijack your thread but did you hear about the dude who ran 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 different states. thats got to be good for your body.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hell, I couldn't run 1 marathon in 50 days. And that guy was probably a world class athlete. Ted Jackson doing what he did was probably about like you doing it.

4. tirk

nah look it up.
    The Karnazes Effect
    How running 26.2 miles for 50 days affected Dean Karnazes.

ByChris Carmichael WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 3, 2007, 12:00 AM

thats his name.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The Army ruined running for me. I try to do it, well, never.

el005639 likes this.
  6. tirk

life ruins running for most. but its good to blame something else as well just in case you think you might wanna go back.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I never liked running just for the exercise. It's boring. If you are playing a game and running that's one thing but running for the sake of running, no way. A lot of the people I see running or jogging have very pained expressions on their face and look miserable. To compensate for not playing games where I run any more I have upped my exercise regimen from 12 ounce curls to the 16 ounce tall boys.

el005639 likes this.
  8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I watched the special on Ted Jackson and thought it was well done. He hit the wall a couple of times and pushed through it.

I love to exercise and try to do as many different things each month as I can. Running is not one of them though. I don't think I'll ever attempt to run more than about 6 miles at a time.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

6? I was thinking more like 1. Or a 1/2 even.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The first guy to ever run a marathon dropped dead at the finish. Why anybody else would try it is beyond me.

Running a few miles for exercise, I get that. But distance running baffles the shit out of me. It can't be healthy.