The Legend of Ted Jackson

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Long distance runners get some kind of endorphin high similar to the effect of opiates. Or so I've heard. I'm not going to try it and find out. Maybe running is for people who can't afford drugs. $100 says @LaSalleAve is not a runner unless it's from the law.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I've never run from the law. And I played real sports not trying to be the best at exercising.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Had to Google to find out who Kenny Powers was. If you had said Sam Malone I would have known which fictional ex athlete you were talking about

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Every damn Friday was either the Battalion or worse a Brigade run. This means either the LTC or a full bird was leading it. Not only was it a grade A cluster fuck, the old geezers just trodded along for what seemed like forever. Shin splints and ice on the knees after those damn things.

5. LaSalleAve

You really should watch Eastbound and Down dude, it's a great show.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The 1st season foe sure, sort of downhill from there. I won't ruin it though.

7. LaSalleAve

You don't like when he is in Mexico? La Flama Blanca? When he comes out to the Hogan music, lol that shit's great. You are right though the first season is the best one.

8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I was a distance runner in high school. Still hold the 2 mile record for my school. That said, I quit after 11th grade because it fucked up my knee. The shoes we ran in back then had absolutely no shock absorption. When I was training before track season, it was no big deal to run 100 miles per week.

The biggest challenge for me was the boredom. I had to constantly play mind games just to keep going. When you are constantly pushing yourself to go faster for miles at a time, that little freaking devil on your shoulder does everything he can to get you to stop.

The longest I ever ran at one time was 42 miles. I didn't plan it, it just sort of happened. I went for a run and ended up running to Slidell. My girlfriend drove me back. Other than that, most of my long runs were only about 15 miles. That was just to build my endurance. During the season, I didn't run nearly that much.

Back then, you just laced em up and ran. No fancy belts with water bottles and gels and energy bars and shit, you just ran. You got water when you were done.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And when you got hungry, you ate. And when you had to go, you know, you went.

el005639 and KyleK like this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Run KyleK, Run!