The Lemon Yellows

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GiantDuckFan, Jul 2, 2011.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

The State of Oregon itself is interesting.
    Divided by the Cascades, the east-side is the polar opposite of the west.

The eastern 2/3's of the state is mostly high desert, at about 4,000 ft. elevation, it's not especially hot, but receives only 10-12 inches of rain a year.

Most of the west-side is basically a temperate rain forest.

About 75% of Oregon's population lives on the western 1/3 of the state.

Eastern Oregon is sparcely populated with huge tracts of uninhabited land, and a few small cities. The Federal Government; National forest and Bureau of Land Management, owns well more than half of eastern Oregon.

Western Oregon is roughly 70% Democrats.
    Eastern Oregon 80% Republicans.

The west, especially Eugene, is a hotbed of Liberalism.

It's not like that on the east-side, every 15-20 years, an event re-flames a movement, which dates back over a hundred years. This movement wants some counties in eastern Oregon, to join with other counties from California and Nevada. Then secede from their states, and found the new state of Jefferson Davis.

I'm not kidding, God's honest truth. It never gathers much steam, but never dies completely. 458 - The Lost State of Jefferson | Strange Maps | Big Think

A lot of Oregon State beaver fans live in Eastern Oregon.

Not me though, Go Ducks!

2. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

okay, i just checked weather.com comparing eugene oregon to baton rouge for rain.

in june, eugene received 0.98 inches while averaging 1.53
    in june baton rouge received 4.77 inches while averaging 5.81
    so, where does all this "we get alot of rain" talk come from?
    in july, eugene avg .64
    baton rouge---5.84

in august
    eugene-0.99
    baton rouge-5.72

does it rain more in the other months?

3. mach316

mach316 Founding Member

Nice thread. Some interesting facts about both schools. :thumb:

4. GiantDuckFan

....The rainy season in western Oregon runs from October through May, while eastern Oregon experiences its rainy, or snowy, season from late autumn through early spring. ..... Occasionally, a sub-tropical feed of moisture often referred to as the Pineapple Connection, will be tapped by the stronger storms. The Pineapple Connection is just a term used to describe a continous stream of upper level moisture originating from the tropics, often near Hawaii. This stream of moisture is warm and as a result the air can hold more moisture. The subtropical moisture will enhance the precipitation process in the storms, producing more precipitation than would normally be expected.......

Locally it's called the pineapple express, and there's nothing occasional about it. You rarely see the sun during the rainy season. Rains all day, every day. Well, maybe not, but it seems like it. Very depressing for some people. I liked it, never needed to wash my car.

Weather during the summer & early autumn is very nice!

5. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

like the Duck fan said, Oregon gets many more cloudy days than we get in Louisiana. down here, we get our rain, but it just blows right over. in Louisiana, it's often a nice pretty day, then some rain clouds will blow over, dropping a bunch of rain, but before you know it they are gone and it's a nice pretty day again. in Oregon, it stays cloudy a lot. for ex, my friend lived in Portland for few months for business, and he said it was miserable because it was constantly cloudy the whole time he was there

for ex, here are the NOAA stats sunny/cloudy days for various cities

note that the Louisiana cities get 98-114 days of clear skies, while Eugene and Portland only get 68-75 days

and the Louisiana cities only get 146-152 days of cloudy skies, while Eugene and Portland get 209-222 days

Cloudiness - Mean Number of Days

and Eugene has five straight months (Nov to Mar) where they only get 1-3 days of clear skies per month, and nine straight months (Oct to June) where they only get 1-8 days of clear skies per month. on the flip side, they have five straight months (Nov to Mar) where they have 21-26 cloudy days per month
    Climate Information for Eugene*-*Oregon*-*West*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

in Baton Rouge, we only have three months with more than 10 cloudy days, and it's only cloudy 14-16 days in those 3 months
    Climate Information for Baton Rouge*-*Louisiana*-*South*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

6. GiantDuckFan

Living in western Oregon, you'll wake up to heavy cloud cover and rain, and it stays like that all day. Next day, same-thing, could continue like that for weeks, without ever seeing the sun.

Occasionally when conditions are perfect, there will be a small break in the cloud cover, and the sun will beam through the rain making it sparkle.

This is known as Oregon sunshine.

7. tdforiginal

tdforiginal Freshman

No one calls the Duck 'puddles', except maybe a few girls. The Duck is simply The Duck.

8. GiantDuckFan

Officially known as "the Duck" a lot of Oregon fans call him "Puddles"

Ah, it's you again.
    I stand behind my statement. You don't like the nickname Puddles, good enough, no argument. So just come out and say it. I doubt you have any special knowledge, or any facts, that backup your sweeping decree of "no one".

I went to UO in the early 70's, and have been paying close attention ever since.

What are your credentials?

9. GiantDuckFan

I repent, cyclops's stare, shames me.

I wish I had written;

The destination and camp of Lewis and Clark, Oregon was carved out of the wilderness, through sheer will, by the incredibly tough and tenacious pioneers. Risking everything, they crept along the Oregon trail, propelled only by faith, determination, and the image of a new and better future.

However, their image did not include the native population.

Driven from their traditional homes, the indigenous peoples, were devastated by disease and violence. By 1885, their population in Western Oregon had been reduced by 85%.

Settlers formed an autonomous government in Oregon Country in 1843. The Oregon Territory was created in 1848.
    Oregon became the 33rd state on February 14, 1859.

I love my state. I have Oregon roots reaching into the 1870's.
    The pioneers deserve much better than I gave.
    I owe them an apology.

1 person likes this.
  10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

This is a real good thread....I'm really getting into it.

"Puddles".......man, that's like the nickname for our mascot..."Toonces"

(Okie in 3......2.......1 :D)