The Lemon Yellows

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GiantDuckFan, Jul 2, 2011.

1. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

So Oregon is not in Canada?

2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

We are California's Canada.

3. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

NICE!

4. GiantDuckFan

Autzen Stadium is very, very loud!

Autzen is known for its crowd noise. despite having a smaller capacity than most other extremely loud stadiums. The fans are very close to the field, and the field is sunken, which contributes to the loudness of the stadium.

A 31-7 upset of third-ranked Michigan in 2003 prompted a Michigan Daily columnist to write, “Autzen’s 59,000 strong make the Big House collectively sound like a pathetic whimper. It’s louder than any place I’ve ever been, and that includes The Swamp at Florida, The Shoe in Columbus, and Death Valley at LSU. Autzen Stadium is where great teams go to die”.

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr later said that Autzen Stadium was the loudest stadium he'd ever been in

Lee Corso of ESPN College Game Day frequently says that; "Per person Autzen Stadium is the loudest stadium that I have ever been in my entire life!

Jahvid Best a starting running back for the Cal Bears said of his game in 2007 at Autzen Stadium, "The biggest thing I remember about that game is the crowd. The crowd noise is crazy up there. Honestly, any other away game I don't really even hear the crowd. Oregon was the only place where it really got on my nerves."

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

i keep hearing this, but i find it hard to believe that 60k fans could be so much louder than 90k. there are a lot of physics and venue acoustics at play here, but not that much. it also depends on the game, too, obviously. not to take anything away from autzen, but i'd put tiger stadium against it any day -- or make that night. :thumb: and not necessarily just because of decibels. especially when that old stadium starts shaking when florida or bama comes to town. i guess it is pretty damn impressive that oregon hits similar decibels as LSU does with 30k fewer fans :LSU231:

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

fify

7. GiantDuckFan

I don't think measuring decibel levels really tells the story. Impossible to measure the emotion or intensity of a stadium.

In regards to which schools have the most intimidating stadiums, as a Duck fan, I'm proud that Oregon is included in the discussion.

Truthfully, I have to admit, I don't know much of anything about your stadium.

What's so special about Death Valley?

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVrM8dSAtu4]YouTube - ‪LSU Football Causes An Earthquake‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqKthXGYAOQ&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪It's Saturday Night in Death Valley (LSU Football)‬‏[/ame]

We cause Earthquakes. If that 2nd video doesn't make the hair on your neck and arms stand up, go to the doctor now, because you have no pulse.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Obviously.

Start Here. Power Ranking The 50 Loudest College Football Stadiums | Bleacher Report

Tiger Stadium was built in 1924, the first building on the new campus. It has been expanded six times and is now seating 92,400 and is the 7th largest college stadium in the country. Sometimes called "Deaf Valley", Tiger Stadium is generally recognized as the loudest, most racous stadium and crowd in the country, especially during traditional night games.

Alabama head coach Bear Bryant once remarked that "If you don't know it, Baton Rouge happens to be the worst place in the world for a visiting team. It's like being inside a drum." In 2001, ESPN sideline reporter Adrian Karsten said, "Death Valley in Baton Rouge is the loudest stadium I've ever been in. “Death Valley in Baton Rouge is the loudest stadium I’ve ever been in. There are very few stadiums in America worth a touchdown, but the Bayou Bengals certainly have that advantage in Tiger Stadium.” In 2002, Miami (Ohio) coach Terry Hoeppner said of Tiger Stadium, "That's as exciting an environment as you can have ... we had communication problems we haven't had at Michigan and Ohio State." In 2003, ESPN's Chris Fowler called LSU his favorite game day experience. In 2009 former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee stated on the Fox news with Sean Hannity show, "Unfair is playing LSU on a Saturday night in Baton Rouge."

Wright Thompson of ESPN.com wrote in 2008, “It was electric. When Death Valley is rocking, it seems as if it might actually take flight. On Saturday, I went back to Baton Rouge to see Alabama barely beat LSU, and was, once again, reminded that Tiger Stadium is the best place in the world to watch a sporting event.”

Survey after survey has concluded that Tiger Stadium is the most difficult place for a visiting team to play, including surveys by the College Football Association in 1987, The Sporting News in 1989, Gannett News Service in 1995, and Sport Magazine in 1998. More recently, in 2007, ESPN named Tiger Stadium "the scariest place to play," saying that "Tiger Stadium is, by far, the loudest stadium in the country."

In 2005, ESPN.com ranked Tiger Stadium as the second toughest venue for an opposing team in all of sports. In 2007, the acclaim continued when The Bleacher Report ranked “Death Valley” as the third toughest venue in the world to play in. LSU’s run to a national title and record crowds led ESPN.com to proclaim Tiger Stadium as “The Scariest Place to Play in America” for an opposing team in a list of stadium rankings.

In 2009, ESPN writer Chris Low listed Tiger Stadium's Saturday night atmosphere as unsurpassed in the country, ranking it No. 1 out of the conference's 12 stadiums. In 2010, The Sporting News proclaimed Tiger tailgating and “Saturday Night in Death Valley” as the top gameday tradition in all of college football.

Tiger Stadium was the site of the legendary "Earthquake Game" against Auburn in 1988. LSU won the game, 7-6, when quarterback Tommy Hodson completed a game-winning touchdown pass to running back Eddie Fuller in the waning seconds of the game. The crowd reaction registered as a legitimate earthquake on the seismograph in the Louisiana Geological Survey office on campus.

Tiger Stadium uniquely sports traditional "H" style goal posts, as opposed to the more modern "Y" style used by other schools today. Unlike most football fields, where the yard lines are numbered every 10 yards, Tiger Stadium numbers every marked yardline.

The lower bowl in Tiger Stadium is huge and completely enclosed. Sound reverberates like nowhere else. The grandstands are very close to the field in Tiger Stadium

Tiger Stadium (92,400) - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

10. GiantDuckFan

Wow!

An earthquake!

I have to admit, trumps the Duck's nice quotes.

Autzen rocks too, the noise blasts our opponents right in the face, it can really roar. It's the greatest place I've ever been. No PAC10 school has anything close to the "Autzen experiance".

Thanks Red55, it's obvious to me now.

The aerial view of "Death Valley" is beautiful.

LaSalleAve; Glad to say, "I have a pulse", strangely though, watching the video, fired me up to watch my Ducks. I guess I'm just, yellow & green, all the way through.

Can't wait 'til game day.

Go Ducks!