The Masters

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TigerBait3, Apr 7, 2010.

1. clair

clair Rockets

I don't think anyone can beat him at St. Andrews. I really don't. Pebble you can find big trouble, but Tiger will plod around the bunkers at St. Andrews and dominate there.

2. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I guess they'll need a left handed green jacket

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I was pulling for a Boom Boom miracle today, but barring that, I'm happy to see Lefty get the win. The birdie on 12, followed by that shot from under the trees on 13, were amazing!

1 person likes this.
  4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Haha, you're an idiot being hearsay that he is a prick.

You've never witnessed it yourself yet you readily believe it. At least you're in the right profession.

Mickelson has always been my boy. Frustrating as all heck to watch play sometimes, but damn is he gifted.

5. islstl

and that was essential Mickelson right there

If I ever had to dig some film footage out of the archives to show someone 50 years from now what Phil Mickelson was like, I would show that person the 2 shots in succession on 15 today. The impossible shot from the pine straw that he landed 3 feet from the hole just over water and then the subsequent botched putt that he slammed past the hole

6. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

1) Happy - Phil's wife was there to see him win
    2) Happier - Tiger lost
    3) Happiest - It's over so I don't have to see a million commercials and stories about golf on television

1 person likes this.
  7. DRC

DRC TigerNator

If Couples makes just half his putts inside 10 feet over the weekend he is neck and neck with Phil. Phil's story is great but I like what Couples and Watson did along with Anthony Kim and K.J. Choi.

Overall this has to rank up there as one of the best Masters in a long time. Phil's story is feel good and I'm glad he won. It was a bit gut wrenching to see his wife walk gingerly from the club house to the 18th green. How could you not feel good for the guy and his family?

Tiger is still the worlds best golfer and I don't think the interest level would have been as high without him. TV ratings for the first 2 days went through the roof and online viewership was double any previous Masters. Phil said it best during his first practice day press conference when asked if Tiger should be apologizing to his fellow players. He basically said Tiger owes him nothing because of how much he has done for the game.

1 person likes this.
  8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I dont know if you caught this but Phil admitted he ate lunch with Tiger before last years final round when everyone was saying he and Tiger dont really talk. If you are eating lunch with someone before being paired with them for the final round of the Masters that pretty much debunks the misconception they dont talk. I think Phil's reputation about being disliked by his fellow players probably center around his cocky attitude when he first joined the tour. He has matured since then and I get the impression a lot of players like him today.

9. islstl

Correct.

Thanks for that. Maybe others can stop hating on the man for being great.

He is every bit as talented as Woods. His putter just lets him down a lot more often than Woods. There's your difference. It has cost Mickelson 2 green jackets and at least 3 US Open titles. He could easily be looking at 9 majors instead of just 4.

The now famous pine straw shot on 15 was a 6 iron that he hit 207 yards. He said it wasn't that difficult a shot and that he and Bones never discussed laying up but whether he should go 5 or 6 iron. He said he chose 6 iron so that he could take a hard swing at it.

Tha man is a magician with them clubs. He and TIger are something to behold.

Tiger, to his credit, played as poorly as I have seen him strike the ball in a long time (not surprisingly considering his layoff), but was a missed 6 foot missed putt (one that he never misses) from shooting a 67 yesterday. That was the hole he botched the par putt when he just rushed it and it lipped out.

Mickelson's final round of 67 with no bogies has to rank as one of the best Sundays at the Masters of all time, given the circumstances and the fact that it won him the tournament. Westwood by no means lost the tournament, Mickelson just snatched it for himself.

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

That was 13 actually. Whats funny though is the commentators saying he "pulled" his tee shot. That wasnt a pull at all. Where he was is dead straight from the tee box. The only way to get in the thin part of that fairway is to draw as a right hander or fade as a left hander to get around that corner. Phil just hit it straight as an arrow with driver into those trees. If he had hit 3 wood he would have been in the fat part of the fairway but not around the corner and another 30 or 40 yards from the green. Its an interesting hole. A lot of players hit it right to where Phil did in the practice round I saw last Monday.