The Mayor of 13th Street on LSU Baseball fans

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Apr 5, 2010.

1. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

Greg Pivovar, owner of the Stadium View card shop across from Rosenblatt has been running a blog as he gets ready for the last CWS in his neighborhood. He had this to say about LSU fans.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Piv is a really cool guy. His shop is my first stop when we get to the stadium. He always has a big pot of jambalaya or gumbo going and will give you as much of it and beer as you like. Guys like him are the ones getting hurt the most by Rosenblatt being torn down.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

true. and last year, standing in lines here and there with locals, wearing purple and gold and getting in conversations with wait staff at restaurants about college baseball, everywhere we went, i did not hear one local say anything good about the new stadium.

and im not talking about just tradition. they all believe parking will be worse. that the whole thing will take on more of a "corporate" feel, not the street fair type feel it has now. which is why we have our tickets and are going this year, no matter what.

thanks for the nice read, pod. everywhere you go in omaha, not necessarily near the stadium, the locals will embrace you if you are in purple and gold. they can tell you about lsu baseball, as the waiter at the restaurant and i got into a conversation the first night. some might say "oh, they do that to all baseball fans for bigger tips/better business." nuh,uh. polite to other fans, yes. know all about their team through the years and really want to talk baseball, no. in 05 when tulane was there, i went with greenie. so i was "incognito" for the series. locals were polite, but it was NOTHING like going while wearing purple and gold.

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

maybe a bit of hyperbole in there... not sure of many true LSU fans who will cheer on USL or Tulane... :sob:

but, all in all, a very good article. people might hang me, or stone me, (or even disown me) when i say this, but the atmosphere around the college world series rivals that of tiger stadium on a saturday night. they're totally different, mind you, but in a lot of ways they're the same. there is no corporate "feel," and it it very family-oriented and almost "blue collar" in a way. with the new stadium, all of that is likely to change. this is truly the end of a magical era. i have a strong feeling that CPM and staff are going to try extra hard to make it this year. of course it won't be fitting to send out rosenblatt without LSU there. perhaps if we fail to reach eauxmaha, they should host the team as a honorary participant? but let's not entertain that thought, this team does have a very good shot to make it.

5. OkieTigerTK

thats exactly it jayb! at the risk of sounding trite or overly nostalgic, the whole atmosphere really does make you think of it as "america's pastime". and i as said, everything the locals told me last year, the new park and surroundings are "corporate" feeling. i mean, the park itself does not hold more people. it is not larger. however, there are more luxury suites.

6. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

His Easter Day Post.

Chreaster and my first Tiger jumps on board
    April 4, 2010, 1:37 pm
    Filed under: Uncategorized

Seventy six bottles of beer in the fridge.

I picked up a new reader from Louisiana, Pod Katt. He says he’s coming this year for the first time. He wants to trade me a case of Abita and some boudin for finals tickets. How do I put that into an e bay auction. What are the people from Oregon State going to offer, a couple of beavers. Well I think that I’ll leave that subject now and try to keep this blog family friendly.

Welcome Pod, and in true Stadium view fashion, “Would you like a beer.”

At least til tomorrow.

Happy Easter everyone.

The Pod Katt his first Tiger Fan?

7. OkieTigerTK

pod told me he's working all angles for finals tickets. i guess he meant it! :lol:

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

That big ole leprechaun ought to just trade his pot of gold for the ducats. :grin:.

Pod, you da man !!!!:hihi:.

9. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Thanks for the good read, pod.

I will be in Omaha very soon on business. I've never been. I would appreciate it if some of you CWS folk would tell me some good places to go to grab a bite to eat and maybe even to have a beer.

I will rep LSU when I go to see how they treat me. I look forward to your responses.

10. acemic

acemic Founding Member

I mite be an exception because USL was my second choice, because I thought my grades wasnt good enough for LSU. And I cant wait to go Im gonna try to make the best effort to go this year.