The mock draft thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Jan 9, 2015.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Not suggesting we do a mock draft of our own, although that could come later. This thread is for posting comments or highlights on players that are being mentioned as possible Saints number one picks in the bazillion mock drafts that will be coming over the next few months. I'll start with Vic Beasley, 6'3", 235 lb DE from Clemson, who no doubt projects as a OLB at that size. 5th year guy, projected as our number one by Bleacher Report.

At this point, I'm not really enamored with Beasley. Looks like a good ballplayer, but I don't think the Saints are in a position to gamble on a guy who will have to change positions at the pro level.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. mctiger

walterfootball.com selects P.J. Williams, junior cornerback and early entry from FSU. Second team AP A-A, 6', 196 pounds, very hard-nosed CB. Only one pick this year, but 4 as a sophmore, including one in the National Championship.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Saints need a pass rusher in the worst way and also O line. If the pass rusher pickin's are slim by pick 13 they should choose La'el Collins if he is still on the board. La'el projects more as a right tackle than a left but he will be a beast at run blocking.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. mctiger

Both mocks I looked at earlier have Collins going to Carolina at 25, McShay from ESPN has him at 27.

Bleacher report repicked its mock this afternoon. Now they have the Saints taking Shaq Thompson, early entry, All American LB from Washington. Freak athlete, scored 4 defensive TDs this year, and even started at tailback twice and rushed for over 100 yards in both games.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Looks like a lite year for the QB position, after Winston and Mariota, it takes a large drop. Now some teams will shy away from Winston, do they want to have people follow him around every day? Do they want him as the face of their team? Some teams are gonna pass on him, can't blame them. Some look at JaMarcus Russell, Jimbo held him in check at LSU, did Jimbo do much of the same with Winston?
    As for the Saints, I still say they went backwards with picks last year, a CB first, then a WR, it was a deep draft for WR. A little lite for the CB position.
    I know Mcshay has La'el at the 27th pick, will know more as we get closer, but I don't think he will be there.

fanatic likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Winston will go higher than you think. All it takes is for one team in need of a QB to take the gamble on him. Tim Tebow would have fallen to the latter rounds if Josh McDaniels hadn't fallen in love with him.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Same with every player BB, it only takes that one team to fall in love with a player. And yes, He and MM are the top two. But with every year, some team will over reach on players. There is a reason the same teams get to pick early every year.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Put it this way, whomever picks Winston, the front office will say a prayer every night before they go to bed. With the hope they don't get a call at 3 in the morning.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. mctiger

I think Tampa Bay takes him at number one. They love staying in the state of Florida for number one picks, and he'll be an instant fan favorite.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. mctiger

The first 2 mocks I looked at today, including cbssports.com, have the Saints taking DE/OLB Dante Fowler Jr from Florida. Another early entree, seems to be a lot like Junior Galette.

LSUDad likes this.