The mock draft thread

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Jan 9, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Report: Titans view Mettenberger as poor man's Brady

• [​IMG]
    • By Dan Hanzus

The Tennessee Titans have high hopes for Zach Mettenberger. Do they believe in him enough to pass on a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick?

David Climer of the Tennessean wrote Saturday that Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Ruston Webster believe they landed the steal of the 2014 draft when they selected Mettenberger in the sixth round and view the former Louisiana State star as a poor man's Tom Brady.

It's unclear what Titans brass sees in terms of a Brady-Mettenberger connection beyond their shared history as former sixth-rounders. Mettenberger was uneven in his six starts as a rookie, completing 59.8 percent of his throws with eight touchdowns, seven interceptions and an 83.4 passer rating. Brady, of course, helped lead the Patriots to a Super Bowl win in his first season as a starter.

Consider it a huge gamble by the Titans if they choose to go all in on Mettenberger. Marcus Mariota (or perhaps Jameis Winston) will be available with the No. 2 pick and there have been whispers that Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers could be trade targets.

If the Titans roll with Mettenberger and he flops, heads will roll come Black Monday.

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Two guys I like for the Saints, Cameron Erving (C/OG/OT) could be around when the Saints have the 31st pick. If he's still around after that, the Pats will have the next pick and as always, have a good player fall into their lap. The other guy along the same lines, later on in the draft, Ali Marpet (OG/OT), out of Hobart. Small school, but had a good week at the Sr Bowl. The needs of the Saints, ILB, OLB, OL, CB and DE, not in that order, but they can't have another fail like they did in last years draft. They also could draft another QB, in the later rounds.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I like Marpet, but not at 31. At 44 it might be a good pick.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I posted later in the draft, which looks to be a 3rd rounder, don't know if he lasts past that. I like Erving at 31. Note, I still think the Saints have two picks in the 3rd round, this would be a great time for Marpet.

5. TwistedTiger

Yes, I misread that. Saints have the 75th and 79th pick, both 3rd round.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I often misread things too, I agree with you, the 3rd would be a great time for Marpet.

7. old school

old school Veteran Member

I wish the Saints front office would take more of a "Moneyball" statistical approach to the draft similar to baseball. You are going against the percentages to attain success when you trade up. You have a higher probability of success if you stand pat or trade down. Certain positions, for example O-line, have a much better chance of yielding a favorable result when drafted in the first round than do QB's or RB's. The "smart money" teams have figured this out. The New England Patriots, love them or hate them, have been stock piling draft choices for years. So this year and every year I hope the Saints play the percentages in terms of the positions they pick early and stock pile their draft picks and never trade up. But of course most teams are not disciplined enough to employ this strategy. They create excuses for a short term fix which have a small probability of success and dampen the long term future of the team. For example, the Saints may convince themselves to trade up to get the last "piece to the puzzle" while we still have Drew Brees and have a chance at a championship run. It sounds good, but it is a bad strategy.

LSUDad and TwistedTiger like this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Both of you make great points, and yes at times to load up on picks do well. I don't think they go OL in the first round, unless someone falls in their lap. Last year might have been the deepest for the WR position, I could see them looking for a WR in this draft. But like I said, OL and CB are two other positions that need to be addressed. They can't continue to miss in the draft.

9. TwistedTiger

I usually have a better feel for the draft than I do this year. I find this particular draft extremely hard to predict. After the first two picks it gets really muddy. There are probably 10 players that could go as high as 3 or as far as 12. I have no feeling for who in the top 15 rated players will be available at 13. I like the BPA philosophy, but the saints HAVE to find a playmaker at LB. Fowler, Beasley, Ray or Dupree would be fine with me. I wouldn't pick Gregory unless he was still available at 31. Scherff would be hard to pass, but I think there is better value in later rounds for an OL. A big block eating NT wouldn't surprise me at 13 if one of the higher rated guys falls to that spot. Sean Payton drafting CBs scares the hell out of me. His track record picking DB's, especially corners has been atrocious. For that reason only I don't pick one here. I also see no need to take a WR that high, more available later. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see both picks in the first spent on LB's. A DE/LB pass rusher and a playmaking thumper would be fine. Or a LB and a NT. What I don't want is to see more reaches for raw players in the early rounds. I don't want to lose picks trading up and I don't want to see another all flash no splash offensive weapon or a CB that can't cover his own ass with a blanket.

old school and LSUDad like this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The top players, said by many, past the Qb's looks to be: In no order

DL L. Williams-USC
    DL D. Fowler-Fla
    WR A. Cooper-bama
    DL-Shane Ray-Missouri
    LB- V. Beasley-Clem
    WR-Kevin White-WV
    DL-Gregory-Neb- Failed drug test may drop him some.
    DL-D. Shelton-Washington
    OL-Brandon Scherff
    DB-Trae Waynes-Mich St
    OL-A. Peat-Stanford
    OL-La'el Collins-LSU
    OL-T.J. Clemmings-Pitt
    DB- Jalen Collins-LSU
    WR-Devante Parker-Louisville

Note, from last years draft, in the first round...
    3-QB's
    0-RB
    5-WR
    1-TE
    5-OL
    3-DL
    6-LB
    9-DB

old school likes this.