The most amazing thing you will ever see!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by HalloweenRun, Feb 8, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's the civil rights advocates that are upset about it. And I still don't see how it is a civil rights issue.

I also don't understand why the right wing is so adamant that picture ID is suddenly a vital necessity to vote when it hasn't been needed for over 200 years of American history. Voter fraud is extremely rare in this country.

This seems like one of those phony issues that we let divide us. A few civil rights activists think some little old ladies are being disfranchised, while a few conservative politicians fear that illegal immigrants might get to vote against them. Meanwhile most of the rest of the country doesn't really give a rat's ass.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I apologize for the bait and switch, but I wanted folks to see it. How about "most hypocritic thing you will ever see?"

GEAUX TIGERS! we can all agree on that!

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I can deposit without id. I've never heard of needing id to deposit.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I've had it happen. Had the same reaction as @red55

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I definitely feel how @red55 feels. Anyone can make a deposit into my account. I sure hope my bank knows that.

6. marylemon

marylemon Freshman

I guess everybody else and not just me has been victimized by the title. It's not really amazing.

haka tours nZ

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Because it serves to infringe on the rights of those who do not have some form of identification, which is a number supposedly in the millions, consisting primarily of poor, elderly people.

Exactly. It's nothing more than a thinly-veiled attempt by republicans to keep people away from the polls who they know would never vote for them.

8. red55

I wonder. I've never seen any evidence to support this. Do you know of any? What "right" is infringed? It is difficult to imagine that millions of people could function in this country without identification. To get welfare or food stamps one is required to produce identification such as a birth certificate, medicaid ID, tax records, employer documentation, etc. But most just use a drivers license or state ID card because it's easier than producing a bunch of original paperwork.

I realize the GOP thinks immigrants will never vote for them. But they have no right to vote. Everyone benefits if all citizens are properly identified, it seems to me.

9. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Uh, the one about voting...

I absolutely agree, which speaks to the point that it's mostly very old & poor folks who don't have some form of ID.

But considering that voter fraud is a non-issue and also that anyone without an ID is clearly less fortunate, it paints a pretty clear picture of why the GOP is pressing for the legislation. As it stands now, there is no need to create such a law because it purports to stop a problem that doesn't exist.

10. red55

I agreed with this from the beginning, but that does not mean that the civil rights issue is valid, which I also question.

Yeah, I know. But proper identification has always been required to vote, even in the 18th century. Now that modern proper identification almost always includes a photo, what is the problem with that?

And I asked for some documentation of that because I am very suspicious that there are not "millions" of such people.