The Music Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Here's a song for all you Texas Tigers

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

For my late 60's crowd it was this one . . .

The rockers and the poppers and the freaky and the straights all liked it. Even the brothers liked The Rascals.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I love RHCP and artistically just so much better with Frusciante in the line up and I agree with @uscvball 2nd time around was better than the 1st.

I'm not a dead head but their stuff is okay. It was before my time but I was in the corps with 2 guys my age that would have had Garcia's babies. I Love Otis Redding so guess to each their own.

Never cared much for Coldplay but I dig Alabama Shakes, maybe the only thing associated with that shit hole worth a damn, other than a chic named Beth from Boaz that I met at PCB circa 1986

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I've known people like that....I never understood it. Some bands are like that for people. My best good tailgating friend who passed away last September was a huge parrothead. He traveled everywhere to see Buffett.

Hallelujah, can I get an Amen. They are like a dead fish-in-the-sack-on-your-honeymoon type of band for me.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I neither worship bands nor castigate them if I don't care for their music. I'm a huge fan of several bands, but I never owned tons of their merchandise nor followed them from gig to gig. I like The Dead an awful lot and saw them twice, but I never understood the unlimited devotion thing. Same thing with Buffett. I saw him waaaay back when at a state fair gig when nobody had heard of him and I own a couple of his albums. But I know people that dress like him, behave like his song characters, and have been living in Margaritaville for 3 decades. I want to tell them to get a life.

Coldplay . . . pretty damned ordinary, if you ask me. Not that there anything wrong with that.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

BB King and Bobby Blue Bland

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I've never been a Coldplay guy either. Muse and Radiohead i dig though. I always thought Coldplay was the poor man's version of Muse and Muse was the poor man's version of Radiohead.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

My cousin is like that for Widespread Panic, following them from gig to gig when she can. Supposedly, they are her generation's Grateful Dead.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

my friend who has been out of touch with any recent music (last 10-20 years) singled out Radiohead as a band he really really likes

although the only thing I can think of when watching Thom Yorke is Martin Short's Jackie Rogers Jr. character portrayal

[​IMG]

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Of the bands of today, the one that I really like is Bastille.