The Music Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

New old song by the world's only operatic rockabilly singer. Roy Orbison's sons find unrecorded song.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Nah, let's do it like this instead

tirk likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw where Camille "Lil Bob" Bob had died. The news story called him a Louisiana music legend. But if he was a legend it must have been under the radar because I had never heard of him until he died. When I mentioned it to my brother he said he thought he had seen Lil Bob a long time ago at some redneck club in French Settlement doing a song called I got Loaded. But when I pulled up Lil Bob on YouTube my brother saw that he was black and said it wasn't the same guy. I listened to I got Loaded and it was a pretty good song and then I saw that Tab Benoit had his version of it on YouTube. I had heard of Tab Benoit but had never listened to any of his music and didn't know anything about him but judging from his version of the song he was fantastic.

Lil Bob and the Lollipops

Tab Benoit

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Los Lobos does a great cover of this.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

More Tab Benoit

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I listen to that one too.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Birdies Roadhouse is about 15 minutes from my house. Tab plays there pretty frequently. Always draws a big crowd.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/birdies-roadhouse-angie

If you are ever in the area on a Thurs, Fri, or Sat night, you should stop in. Best live music place on the Northshore. The food is pretty good too.

8. shane0911

Every once in a while I get on these kicks for certain bands and Tool is one of my all time favorites. MJK is about as creative as they come and what I like so much about him and the music is that it just makes you think. So many possibilities so many interpretations. With that I present this song, the album came out in 1996 and I really think it is even more amazing that he could have written such a song that long ago and have it be so relevant, even more relevant almost 20 years later. I would love to see a debate over the meaning of the lyrics. There are videos that have the lyrics flash while the song plays but the video just goes deeper into the mind of Maynard and it is worth watching. Twisted but oh so intelligent bastard he is so I'll put the lyrics up along side or above or below.

Enjoy.

You will just have to pull up the lyrics on another device

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

first off every song interpretation ends up being about drugs. even disney songs are said to be about drugs i would guess. its so ridiculous but probably truer than i want to know.

pretty sure this song as its been a favorite of mine for a long time just because of the music, is about us becoming desensitized due to oversaturation/technology. im not sure how it could be interpreted much differently. but it is a tool song so it can be about god, fisting and the degradation of society all in one. and pink unicorns.

then again, there were a lot of 16 yr olds at the time, who still think its about fisting, the non-metaphorical type. and drugs of course.

i simply think its an extension of aenema. we have too much superficial bullshit that keeps us from feeling or caring about whats important. and he wants us to learn to swim so he can flush it all away. he thinks Los Angeles is the perfect place to start. im with him.

10. shane0911

Has to be, but the way he metaphorically ties the fisting to to the desensitized state the entire country is in, especially now is just genius.