The Music Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Aug 14, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yeah for awhile before Google took off and the Internet was in homes, Tool was pretty obscure personally, even though they were a popular band. Only people who went to Tool shows knew what Maynard looked like. He would never show his face in magazines and articles. He's very strange when it comes to the music aspect. Very secretive and hush hush.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Which is what makes the fact that he is personable at all that much more odd. He is such an introvert on the stage, always hides in the shadows, hell he did a show in New York and I think he was wearing only his underwear for the whole concert.

I think behind it all he wants it to be about the music, that is why they never print song lyrics in the jackets of the CD's and like you said, rarely photographed, which from an artist perspective I can see how they would want it that way.

If only kanye west felt the same...

3. LaSalleAve

Or painted 2 colors, he was when I saw them in Dallas, white and either blue or black, and stayed in the shadows too, I think he only had on underwear as well. You're right though, Can you picture him talking about the fruity nodes of his special Schism Sauvignon? Lol

4. shane0911

Apparently he does, like he is a completely different person. Guess he would have to be though which sort of explains why he won't talk about the music or the band there.

Good article online from rolling Stone I think, looks like they are working on a new album but mired in legal shit with some insurance company and some other dude that claims they owe him money for artwork.

Possible release at the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath. The quote from Jones was "it's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good".

5. LaSalleAve

They remind me a lot of Pink Floyd, like the Modern American Pink Floyd. Not afraid to make a 12 minute track, progressive, harder for sure, but I think that comes with being from the era they are from.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Grateful Dead was never afraid to make a 12, 15 or 25 minute track. On the Allman Brother's Eat A Peach album an entire LP side is only one song. And of course Iron Butterfly's Inna Gadda Da Vida was a 17 minute song. The Doors Light My Fire was deemed too long for radio play at the time and a short version was recorded for on air play.

7. shane0911

Aerosmith tickets you say?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is a feature in the paper that lists events that occurred on this day in history as well as the birthdays of so called famous people, most of whom I've never heard of. For instance today I learned tha singer Vitamin C is 46. I will likely have forgotten that by morning but 14 years ago today that said "Rockabilly singer Sleepy LaBeef is 66. I had never heard of him but each year they list his birthday.

I finally looked him up on YouTube today.

Rockabilly singer Sleepy LaBeef is 80.

Happy Birthday Sleepy LaBeef

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Now this is how you get the Foo Fighters' attention. Dude in Italy wanted the Foo Fighters to come play a concert. Check out what 1000 volunteer rockers from all over the country did. Well done!

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member