The Music Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Aug 14, 2014.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Just got in from the Billy Joel concert in New Orleans! Fan-freakin'-tastic! His voice is in much better shape than I expected, maybe because they built a lot of singing breaks into the set. They took out several of the minor hits that would normally have made up the middle of the set, and interspersed a number of New Orleans-related songs throughout....Iko Iko, CCR's Born on the Bayou, Walkin' to New Orleans, House of the Rising Sun, Proud Mary, Lady Marmalade (his female percussionist sang those two, and was awesome), What A Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong, so his trumpeter solo'd it) and of course, When The Saints Come Marchin' In. They were all very well done. At one point, he brought out "Chainsaw" this old, overweight, burned out-looking guitar roadie, who did a spot-on version of AC/DC's Highway To Hell. And maybe the highlight, guitar player Mike Delguidice sang a Puccini opera (and the place went nuts, what a voice!) as a lead-in to Scenes From An Italian Restaurant. Of course, he did all his biggest hits...Uptown Girl, Big Shot, You May Be Right, Still Rock and Roll, Only the Good Die Young. Also worked Brown Sugar into the encore (final New Orleans reference), and finished with You May Be Right, with a brief segue at the end into Zep's Rock and Roll. My brother was there as well....he saw him at MSG 2 years ago, and said he was much better tonight. All n all, one helluva night!

2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Try this one

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Ok im not the biggest slipknot fan but check out the 2 minute mark and the drop at 340 til the end. Jesus Christ.

The guitar solo and drums are too much.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    shane0911 likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A friend of mine told me he is going to see Sting tomorrow night at Lakefront at UNO. He chose to go to the NOLA concert rather than one a few days later in Sugarland, TX because tickets at UNO are $80 and tickets at the Sugarland how are $100. Thing is, the guy lives in Houston. So he will drive at least 10 hours there and back and spend over $100 on gas all to save $20.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Not the biggest fan either. When I was at Ft. Hood, I heard about them coming to town and they were with a band I wanted to see. Never heard of them and didn't care for the mask shit, so I dismissed them. Then I saw them and holy shit, what a show. These guys had me in the mix quick time. I can do with or without their tunes, but a slipknot show is tha tits. We partied with them after the show when their bus wouldn't start and a buddy of mine was a mechanic, so he got it started. After a show like that, they were pretty down to earth cornbread Iowa dudes just making a living. So that kind of made me a fan. Pretty small time back then. Now they are like a cult.

6. tirk

If you out that 2009 clip on a good stereo it's orgasmic to my ears there so much going on. I'd dismissed them as talentless hacks years ago but there's some crazy work being put in. I like the musical non death metal parts that they usually evolve to in their songs.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

People can get better. I know this guy who years ago was the rhythm guitar play in some band. He was very mediocre. 25 years later I went to the blues jam at Phil Brady's and he was on stage playing lead and doing some really great improvised blues solos. Gives me hope that one day I'll be almost as good as SRV

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Has to be a reason. Not even taint would do something like that

9. tirk

Trip to New Orleans during Mardi Gras duhh.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Ahh there it is