The Music Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by shane0911, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

We talkin' 'bout practice? Practice. I mean, if it was a gig or something but practice?

Way back I knew this guy who played rhythm guitar in the house band at a club about 100 yards past the EBR parish line into Iberville that stayed open all night so people who hadn't hooked up with a chick or just wanted to keep on drinking after closing hours could get blotto. His name is John and to describe his guitar playing as mediocre would be overly generous but the lead guitar guy was at the time about on a par with Clapton. I saw John a few times over the years after and he had a regular job and I just thought he had given up playing, About 20 years later I went to the Thursday night blues jam and Phil Brady's and John was on stage with some other guys. He was playing lead blues solos like he had been born with a guitar in his hands.

Practice

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Today, March 15th, is the Ides of March

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

4. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Bengal B likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

tirk likes this.
  6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

The king of anti pop

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Sounds much better on the CD or mp3 but bootleg is the only way to get it here. Love Levon but man, this girl has it.

As a man in captivity this song holds special meaning. Not figuratively because I will never escape nor be released but it's nice to dream.

Enjoy

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Great voice but I'd like to hear one where she really rocks out

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I got this in an email today from some guy selling a blues guitar course:

Have you ever wondered how long it will take to really get it?

Of course you have, we all have at some point.

And I got that question the other day (as I do often) and I laughed out loud as I thought about it.

There are 3 good reasons this sort of thinking is a shortcut to crazyville (population 1, I'm already here :)

1: How will you know when you get there? If your goal is to run a marathon, you know what that will look like (tired and sweaty.) But if your goal is to "play guitar good" then what's that look like to you? (hopefully, not also tired and sweaty.)

2: The more you learn, the less you know. When you get to wherever it is you think you're going (as you figured out from #1 above) you'll realize how much more music has to offer you... and you'll probably want to go get it.

But this happens slowly over time and your goal (see #1 again) gradually gets larger and larger without you really noticing (kind of like my waistline.)

3: There's no time limit. If your child was learning to walk and it took 2 years and he just didn't quite get it, would you give up? Would you tell the doctors, "I guess it's just not going to work out, can I have a new one?"

It's silly, yes, but guitar is kind of like that. Sometimes it takes a child 2 years to learn to walk, but in high school he becomes a track star as he matures.
    I've seen SO many students struggle at first, only to end up playing amazing things a few years down the road once that switch inside flips to "on."

So the bottom line is this, don't give up on yourself... and enjoy the journey because it's the best part.

And I, for one, am thrilled to get to watch it unfold.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Bout as Rock as it gets. I didn't like it the first few times I heard it but it has grown on me. Good tune