The NCAA will quit using leather basketballs thanks to PETA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ellis Hugh, May 15, 2002.

1. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Why does everyone take this fanatical group seriously? Who cares if PETA boycots the NCAA? How many members can they have anyway? They do alot of advertising because many of their members are rich celebrities, so they appear to be larger than they really are.

This is the same group that go to schools and try to get kids to quit drinking milk.

article

2. tigerman7024

tigerman7024 Founding Member

This is ridiculous.

I think I remember PETA not to long ago raising a stink about a rural high school selling tickets to raise money for prom with some sort of Cow Bingo. They spray painted a field in a grid with numbers in each square. people bought tickets for a chance to win $10,000. I think the school raised about $30,000 or something, more than enough for the prom. Anyway, PETA was all pissed off because this was degrading to the animals. They were COWS!!! PETA is a joke, and the sad part is they have no idea!

3. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

4. Ellis Hugh

I remember that. The cow wasn't doing anything that cows don't do naturally. Walking around in a field, eating grass, and pooping. Peta still protested because people were "exploiting" the poor cow for money.

Do they think this will save cows? It won't. The cows are being killed anyway - FOR THE BEEF! It's not like they are killing the cows, using the skin for basketballs, and tossing the rest of the cow away!

5. tigerman7024

I assume this means you agree with me...but you know what happens when you assume...;) :D

6. BamaBengal

BamaBengal Founding Member

Easy fellas. Whether we agree with PETA or not they have a right to their opinoin just like anyone else, that's what makes this country great!

7. Ellis Hugh

Yes, and we are entitled to our opinopn about THEM too.

I have nothing against other reasonable groups that are against true cruelty to animals. There are some good groups out there (ASPCA, etc). But PETA goes beyond expressing their opinion.

example - they often go directly to schools (bypassing any parental rights) and try to convince CHILDREN to quit drinking MILK. They tell the CHILDREN that milk is bad. They use their propaganda to fool these impressionable kids. They no better than to try this with parents, so they go to the schools where the parents can't stop them. Sorry, but kids need milk.

8. tigerman7024

I understand your opinion BamaBengal, but you must understand I am simply stating my opinion that PETA goes way way beyond any *normal* type polictical stance. They aren't just against testing makeup on animals or testing new medicines on animals, they are against leather basketballs, drinking milk, and betting on which square a cow will poop. My opinion, which I am entitled to, is that PETA is quite frankly a whacko organization that doesn't no where to draw the line, hell they don't even know what the line is.

So, (it may to late for this) no disrspect towards PETA members as individuals, but the organization as a whole...well that is another story.

9. SouthernGent

SouthernGent Founding Member

The article said the peta spokesman said it was hard to put a price on a cows life??? No it's not. All you have to do is look in the business section of any newspaper and see what the market price for cattle is, or go to your grocers freezer and see how much your favorite steak is going for a pound, it's simple math.

PETA said they were going to boycott NCAA sports??? Do they even go to games??? Who cares if these freaks boycott college sports, they can go hug trees and kiss grass while were tailgating and watching SEC Football. This PETA crap is a little close to my heart b/c these freaks wanted USC to change its name from Gamecocks b/c it promoted cockfighting. They need to pull their heads out of their a$$es.

GO COCKS!!! (good luck tonight BTW)