The New Fullback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by The Gov., Feb 22, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

He had an pretty impressive freshman year, had a lot of potential, but failed to live up to expectations this year except in one game when the game was out of reach and the opposing defense was worn out.

I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet (although I did after his freshman year), but if he can carry some confidence into the Spring & grow into the position some more for his junior year he could be pretty good.

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I don't think he really got the opportunity to do much during the regular season.

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

With the injuries in the backfield, i wouldnt be suprised to see Korte getting time at FB and Hester running more HB...

4. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

nice pic of TS.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

He's a good, solid, hard runner that can catch out of the backfield....but don't make it sound like NO white guys can do what he does--his stats, though solid, should be made to sound a million times greater because it came from a white kid.

Gil Fennerty, Craig James, Merrill Hodge and currently Nick Goings for the Panthers did or do get the job done dispite not being black running backs.

6. BostonBengal

Hester did better than average blocking--at least from what I was expecting. Hester's blocking is a plesant surprise because when I first saw him, I immediately thought "receiving fullback" and viewed Steltz as your prototypical smash-mouth blocker...but Hester more than holds his own lead blocking.

With Hester having the abilities of a running back, but placed in the fullback role and Korte being a big-bodied fullback that is quicker that he looks, I would like to see LSU put in some sort of Power I or wishbone--even just once or twice per game--especially on 2nd and <4. A backfield Power I with Korte, Hester and AB/KW would give the defense something to think about...do we run it right up the middle? Sweep it to AB/KW on a fake dive to Korte and let Hester lead block around the end? Or do we play-action fake and hit AB/KW/Hester on a pass route???

7. BostonBengal

Because of injuries, Hester is probably sure to move to halfback for the Spring....but once the fall rolls around, and KW, AB and to a certain extent, JV all are on campus and/or healthy, then Hester would probably be moved back to fullback.

8. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Only if Matt Flynn is in then he can tuck and run if he needs too. We just don't have that option w/Russell.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You're right, he didn't. But he did get some playing time & didn't prove anything with it.

10. The Gov.

The Gov. Founding Member

Well yall my be right. But i dont think he got a real chance to show us his real talent. Ihave seen some of his hits and he has a bunch of heart. I believe he will do good this coming year at FB.