The new playbook-what do we keep and what don't we

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rwilliams, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

In krag's new and improved offensive scheme , what do you think we need to keep and what should we leave out?
    I say we keep most of the power running plays. We have very fast guards that pull well. This is lsu's bread and butter. Add some play action and screen plays. Completly rethink our downfield passing. I would drop most of the qb keepers. The sec is a dangerous place to constantly run your qb. You risk injury to the most important player on offense with the qb options.What do you think?

2. PGizle

PGizle Veteran Member

I think Jefferson improved alot when he realized he can run last year , and I think he talented enough to get some offense with his legs so I saw run him all year long we have enough depth now at qb to do it

3. leroy7500

leroy7500 Founding Member

The Option...Ohhh, the dreaded Option-
    It actually began to work last season. We ran it well- especially with #42. No secret weapon by any means, but I felt like it was worth a few
    yards each and every time it was run. JJ is faster than he looks. He learned to cut it up the field and make the last second pitch.
    Still a "scary" play. But, a keeper.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Keep: Successfully attacking the middle of the field. Slants, crossing routes, consistent ability to hit receivers running vertical routes, and on time.

An emphasis on the fundamentals first. The basics of a standard, red zone, and 2/3/4-minute offense. Basic power running with 1 or 2 backs. More TE involvement as mentioned previously.

Don't Keep: For now, less reliance on touch/finesse passing plays like the fade route we've used in 99% of our 1st and goal drives. Also, unless we see some great blocking up front, less draw plays out of the shotgun. If the blocking isn't there, those plays get blown up fast since the runner isn't attacking the LOS with any kind of acceleration.

If we attack the edges, Jefferson really needs to retool his mechanics. Defenders close so quickly on passes in the flat and WR screens because it takes freakin forever for the ball to get out of his hands, with the ball always thrown high or behind the receiver and negating any kind of matchup advantage those plays are designed to exploit.

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Lose: zone read, speed option, wide receiver screen

Keep: inside running game, downfield passing threat, RB sweep

Add: RB screen, play-action pass, more TE touches

6. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I like how you think. Play action to the TE in goal-to-go situations please!!! Also, screens to Shep from the RB position.

7. jdkees

jdkees Veteran Member

It's seem like with our upcoming, sure-to-be, dynamic running game with Ware, Ford, Hilliard, we ought to be able to add the play action.

I like the philosophy of getting back to basics and execution. Like Miles said, a brilliant look or idea just looks like an "ugly play" when not executed properly.

Down field passing, slants, and yeah, how about some screen passes.

Is it possible we could implement some of the triple option read like Auburn and Oregon? JJ or even Shepard could pull it off. Or, is that too complicated to develop in a short time span?

And yes, let's get the TEs involved in the football game. Is Deangelo Peterson gone? Can't remember if he was a senior or not.

8. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

I'd like to see all the long plays (i.e. option, bubble screen) to the short side of the field disappear, but that's just me.

9. geauxtigers45

geauxtigers45 Founding Member

Keep: Inside runs, over the middle passes and underneath routes.Short passes help.

Delete: Zone read, option,

add: Hb screen, play action passes, Wildcat (Shep or Ware)

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Guys, I think I've figured out what type of system it is that Crowton runs. It's called "The Wrinkle".

Everything was a damn wrinkle. There was never anything traditional or effective to set up the wrinkles; it was just one, stupefying, giant wrinkle. Glad we ironed that out.:hihi: