The NFL

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by shane0911, May 25, 2018.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Phil Knight retired from Nike three years ago,.. no doubt he still has some sway there

Bengal B likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

There are also gonna be a lot of people who buy their shit because of this. I think they weighed that, the risk vs the gain and they obviously felt like they would benefit and from what I’ve read they have.

I wouldn’t stop buying Nike because of this. I wouldn’t go out and buy their stuff because of it either. I personally like chuck t’s and that’s really all I wear. Most people don’t give a shit. Only the loud ones care.

3. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

There's the concept of "as long as they're talking about you, good or bad", but this is surprising.
    Personally i always thought their shoes and gear were overpriced, paying too much for marketing and hype.
    If i owned Nike stock i would certainly sell.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You would have already lost. Just looked it up. Nike stock took a big fall yesterday.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Yep, I'm out. I actually quit buying their shoes a long time ago because I dont like the way they fit.

Come to think of it that is about the only thing I ever really bought of theirs

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I've never bought a pair of their shoes because they were too tight every time I tried a pair on.

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It’s tge hypocrisy of it all. As I understand Nike has been paying Kapernick all a long. That’s no sacrifice.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yes but they upped his deal and publicized it. About as dumb a business decision as Coca Cola announcing they were changing the formula for Coke.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"Shares of Nike fell nearly 3% in midday trading Tuesday. #NikeBoycott was a trending topic on Twitter, with some people posting photos and videos of ripped Nike socks and burned Nike sneakers."

Reebok, Adidas, etc are popping corks. Dumb marketing if it pushes customers to your competitor. The problem Nike has is that sales to college programs, athletes are set contracts. The product numbers will not go up. It's the consumer who makes a difference and that's where Nike will take the hit. Reality is when you sell sports kicks for $100-$300, what is your base? People who can afford multiple pairs and other gear aren't your most likely to support someone who wears pigs on their socks.

It's basic business and marketing. Nike made a dumb decision. And at the end of the day, have they moved the needle toward whatever it is kapernick thought he was protesting in the first place? Do most Americans even know anymore, if they ever really did? The discussion is not being advanced.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Fuck Nike

Winston1, Bengal B and uscvball like this.