The OFFICIAL BLACK AND GOLD SUPERBOWL THREAD

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Jan 25, 2010.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Here's my contribution. Better late than never. In my defense, it's almost a week later and I'm just now getting over my hangover. I know my BAC was approaching a dangerous level. :eek:

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

OK guys....now that we've had about 5 days to let this all sink in it's time to start the discussion of how the actual game will go. Let's do some fearless predictions, what you think our offense has to do...defense...Brees, Reggie, Special Teams etc.

I'm going to go ahead and say that I think that this will be a very tough game for us to win. Indianapolis has some extremely good DE's in Mathis and Freeney...but that is a defensive discussion and I will now attempt to give my view on our offenses.

O-Line:Our tackles will have their hands full keeping the aforementioned DE's in check. I think that our tackles will win this battle, though, based on the way that they bottled up the DE's in the Minnesota game.

QB's:IMO the QB's cancel each other out. Peyton and Drew are both very cerebral QB's with quick releases. Peyton has more intangibles (ie height, size) but Drew Brees is...well, he's Drew Brees. It's a wash.

RB: I give the edge to the Saints. The Saints have a much more balanced offense and we run the ball more. Colts have good RB's (Addai) but they don't pound the ball like we can. We have Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, Reggie Bush and even Lynell Hamilton...They have Addai. Donald Brown ain't ready yet. Advantage Saints.

WR- This is a close one. Colston, Meachem, Devery, Vs. Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie. Let's go ahead and throw TE's in this discussion, too...so an injured Shockey and a seemingly healthy Dallas Clark. That's a tough one but due to the VERY suprising year that Garcon and Collie are having coupled with their healthy stud TE Dallas Clark I will give the slight edge to the Colts. I am fully aware that some of you will disagree with this assessment.

Coaching: Jim Caldwell (HC),Tom Moore (OC), Larry Coyer (DC) versus Sean Payton (HC), Gregg Williams (DC), Pete Carmichael (OC). Let me say that the OC's to these respective teams have the easiest jobs in the NFL. I think the QB's on these teams do more offensive playcalling than the stinkin' OC's (not really but you get what I mean). I do think that the Colts may have better playcalling....at least more consistent playcalling (I've never seen them try to run a TE reverse with their slow backup TE in the red zone) Anyways, I say advantage Saints. Sean Payton is a better head coach than Caldwell and Greg Williams is one of the best in the biz. Greg Williams is responsible for taking a defense with an average front and turning them into an opportunistic juggernaut that I like to refer to as.....get ready for it.....THE STRIP CLUB.

This post is getting too long for me to break down the defense, so I'll do that later in the week. Here's the rundown of my offensive breakdown:

Saints have advantage at: Offensive Line, Running backs and coaches.

Colts have the advantage at WR and our QB's cancel each other out and while I think we have better coaching, they have more consistent play calling.

Offensive advantage: SLIGHT advantage to the Saints.

Agree? Disagree? Discuss!

The Saints are in the Super Bowl for crying out loud!

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I have QB, WR/TE, O-line, LB, Special teams all a push.

I have Saints with slight advantage at RB, Defensive Backfield.

I have Colts with slight advantage at D-line.

Ultimately I think Peyton will outcoach the rookie head coach of the Colts and will be the difference in the game.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

With Jerraud Powers very questionable for this game, I think that gives a great advantage for the Saints passing game. Coach Payton will mix in the run to keep it honest, but it will be the Drew Brees show, make no bones about it.

Brees 31-40, 360 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints.

He was off his game last time and I can't see that happening again. I think the Colts D-line can be easily handled by the Saints as well as any blitzing they may do. Brees is 2nd only to Peyton against the blitz this year, so that won't be an issue. I got us making a couple of big gains in the passing game (50+ yards).

5. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

They are trying to blow up this Dwight Freeney injury..but there is no way he's missing this game but definitely would like our running back blocking him low.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

John Clayton says its a torn ligament. The Colts call him questionable, but Clayton calls him doubtful.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

8. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Yeah I know they say he's been walking in a boot and sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber. But torn ligament or not he'll be playing but I dont believe it.

9. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Anybody got an injury report for the Saints?

I read an article that listed multiple players as probable, but now I can't find it.

10. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

last injury report i saw was the normal one. Shockey, Sharper, Greer and one or two others. It seemed like it was the same list as for the NFC Champ game.