The official "explain your favorie sports team logo thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, Aug 25, 2010.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Fanatic and I were on another thread in the round table (BP oil spill) and he noticed that I have a Bama logo as one of my favorites...so he asked me to explain myself.

Here's everyone's chance to explain which team besides LSU or the Saints you root for. Which team is your SECOND favorite team in the SEC? NFL? MLB? and why?

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Here's my response to fanatic:

I used to hate Bama since I went to LSU in the early to mid 70s...when we could never beat them no matter how good we were. Then, I went to Birmingham as a Katrina refugee. Those people were just incredible to me and my family. I stayed there till after Christmas...had some job offers...met the governor and was invited to cook for him...developed many dear friendships that remain to this moment. So now, I root for them until they play LSU...

Then they're just a roadbump on the way to the BCS championship. !! :tigereye:

I was a big Raiders fan back in the days of Otto, Blanda, Lamonica and Belitnikoff....way before the raider fans became subhuman. I witnessed the Heidi bowl game with my brothers and dad...we were all Raider fans.
    I kinda liked Stabler too.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Saints and LSU. Birmingham, huh? Why not UAB?

4. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

No need to explain the first one.
    The second is Georgia, whom I've always liked and respected.. two attributes I can't say for very many other teams.
    The third used to my all time second favorite team. That was before Rich Rod was hired and began his demolition of the football program there. I really hope they toss him and soon.

I've never followed pro football as closely as college, and while I support the Saints, it would be bandwagon-esque to proclaim my love and life time fan status now that they've won the Superbowl. Throw tomatoes if you must.
    :geaux:

1 person likes this.
  5. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

LSU football, baseball, basketball - in that order. Plus I dabble in softball a bit.

Pro sports teams are dead to me, although I confess to playing Fantasy Football with some buddies.

1 person likes this.
  6. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

The first two are self-explanatory. As a pre-adolescent kid, I used to memorize the box scores to keep track of Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Dave Concepcion, George Foster (I was enraptured by his 52 HR season), Tony Perez, Ken Griffey, Pedro Borbon.....it was magical. I remained a fan until Marge Schott took over the team and I just couldn't take it. Now, I feel like I am back home.

2 people like this.
  7. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

the twins have always been my favorite MLB team that actually contended. the astros are my favorite due to proximity and the fact that it was always easy to follow them as a kid.

8. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

First is LSU. I actually need to explain this one haha. I began to like LSU when I watched them win the College World Series in 2000, when I was in 5th grade. I had never really been into college sports, but a couple years later I got into NCAA Football '03, and I had to pick a favorite team, so I picked LSU since I had liked them since watching that World Series. From then on it's just been a growing passion/hobby of mine to enjoy watching and being involved in their sports and fan base. I actually attend the University of Maryland and am the butt of many a joke and criticism for liking LSU so much and even more than the Terps. I kind of feel like an outsider because I attend a big D-I school, and yet root for another, but I love LSU.

Second is the Phillies. I am actually from the greater Philadelphia area, and as hostile as our fan base can be, it's great to be a part of it. Baseball was my sport in high school so I love the Phils.

Third is the Eagles. Again, from Philly, and nothing beats watching the Birds at home on a Sunday with my dad and brother, both die hard fans(... well except for watching LSU on a Saturday!). My dad grew up in South Philly so he really instilled the Eagles pride in me.

1 person likes this.
  9. hebertjp

hebertjp Founding Member

Alternate title for thread:

The official 'steve covering his a$$ before being run out of town' thread :yelwink2:

LSU--self explanatory

Sparty--They are the home team where I live. It beats rooting for UM. Then there is the whole 'Teams Screwed by Saban' fraternity thing. I think they'll be a pretty scrappy team this year.

Couldn't think of a third team. Not really into pro sports.

Once I went to my dentist wearing a Sparty sweatshirt. He's a UM grad so he gave me some crap about it, jokingly. I pointed out to him that they are the home team. He responded by saying he thought Ann Arbor was closer. I told him that if that is what passes for a geography lesson at UM, I'd ask for my money back.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

LSU and the Saints are obvious. When I was a baseball loving kid there was no cable so the only teams that were on TV regularly were the Yankees and the Dodgers. I rooted or the Yankees. I tried being an Astros fan but the only times I ever saw them play was the 1 or 2 times a year my Dad would take me to Houston for a game.