The official "explain your favorie sports team logo thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, Aug 25, 2010.

1. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Yankee fan since the late 50's. Mickey Mantle was my idol.:thumb:

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

bay area tiger has more than a few years on me but i hate his avatar because i'm getting a bald spot now at 34. i hope you have plugs otherwise salt and pepper that stuff and continue your reign as the world's most interesting man.

prediction alert!!! iowa will win the big ten this year!! the buckeyes will tie you in record but lose head to head.

ok i was a saints fan before i even thought about LSU. grew up in metairie-mandeville. saints fandom started around 6 yrs old. i also liked the dolphins back then because of their uniforms (i was 6). dolphin love faded but the saints fan in me never really did until LSU took over in college and it wasn't a fading as much as an LSU swelling.

was always a fan of the LSU basketball team growing up the first teams i remember are the anthony-nikita wilson, darryl joe, jose vargas, etc teams. that was my intro to LSU sports. went to my first LSU football game in 87-88 i think. a loss to fla. then got caught up in the baseball teams in the early 90's. i considered myself a fan but didn't live and die with it (especially football) till i moved to BR to become a student in 94.

ok, i'm not really an MLB guy anymore. kept up with it growing up because i collected baseball cards. the first card i ever had was a carlton fisk card when he was with the red sox. a year later i decided he was my favorite player (along with eric davis of the reds) but he was with the white sox then. so i followed them and it was easy because their games were on tv all the time (WGN). i liked the cubs too and only later in life did i realize that was like saying i was a saints and falcons fan. but whahevah!

when fisk left they changed those horribly dated uni's to the ones they wear today, bo jackson joined the team and it was the black jack mcdowell, ventura, guillen, kark, "it's a can of corn for 1-dog" "you can put it on the boooooooooooooooooarddddd.........yeeeeeeeeesssssss!!! era of white sox baseball. and got hooked further.

3. *LSUTiger*

*LSUTiger* LSU/CLEMSON

1.Clemson- Born and raised on Clemson tradition since I was a little kid in South Carolina.
    2. Greenbay Packers- Family from Wisconsin, and have been watching the Pack since I was 9 years old.

4. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

Grew up in Baton Rouge, raised a Tiger, transplanted in High School to Texas than to Memphis, TN. Dad couldn't pull of out of state tuition so I went to Memphis. (Brightside it would have been during 92-95 seasons). I actually was the sole equipment mgr for the Memphis baseball team my freshman year, and when running into Skip Bertman at the Baton Rouge regional, he remembered me from all my times at Grand Slam and Baseball camp, wanted me to help get Memphis on the baseball schedule. The douchebag Memphis coach didn't want to play LSU so it never happened. The only sport I flipped on was actually basketball (you can't live here and not love the basketball team). This year will be interesting with LSU playing Memphis in Tupelo. I still make it to 2-3 LSU Football home games a year, and usually go to any road games close to Memphis. My dad moved back and my lone brother who is 12 years younger attended LSU during the four greatest year period (04-07) and is now an enrollment recruiter for LSU. So there you have it!

5. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

To be honest, I may be more of a Chiefs fan than a Saints fan, but the Saints are tops in the NFC and the Chiefs are tops in the AFC.

I always liked football, but I never really forced myself to sit down and watch an entire game until I was older than the average southern football fan probably is when coming to an appreciation for the game. One day in the late fall of '93, I was with my parents at a church gathering at some people's house, and I was bored. The Chiefs were on the TV in their living room, so I sat down and watched it.

I was amazed.

The game of football became amazing to me in that moment. As for the team, Joe Montana was the QB and he was handing it off to Marcus Allen. Derrick Thomas became my defensive hero and all-time favorite linebacker. Dale Carter was a pretty good CB, Neil Smith was good at DE. Years later, the Chiefs remained pretty solid, especially on defense with James Hasty, Jerome Woods, Reggie Tongue and Donnie Edwards.

As far as football, I developed a new appreciation for the game. The passing, running, blocking, catching, special teams and defense were, for the first time, thoroughly fun to watch. From then on, I left my first favorite sport, basketball, and never really looked back. As a result, I became a rabid LSU fan not just because it was close to home, but because I finally understood why people loved football so much. At 9, I couldn't get enough of LSU and the NFL.

The older I've gotten, though, the more I've leaned toward college football, but seeing those red jerseys in Arrowhead Stadium in the snow and that black and gold in the dome is still an awesome sight.

And I HATE the Raiders.

6. CarolinaTiger61

CarolinaTiger61 Recently Repatriated

I put the Cleveland Indians because I go watch the Kinston Indians (one of their Class A affiliates) all the time. There is just something purely American about going to a small, country baseball stadium, getting great seats along the first-base line for next to nothing, and drinking beer all afternoon.

1 person likes this.
  7. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

That's how I feel about watching the Mississippi Braves. It's outstanding on Thirsty Thursdays.

8. TigerFanNTenn

TigerFanNTenn Founding Member

1. LSU - I was born and raised in DeRidder, La. I moved to northeast Tennessee right before high school were I was tormented for being an "LSU fan." I saw UT win the BCS in '98 and somewhat started paying actual attention to football. Then, I was working at a Nissan dealer where all the guys watched football and turned on an LSU game one day so I could watch. After that, I was hooked. Luckily for me, it was the 2003 season! Now, I don't miss a game if at all possible.

2. N.O. - I don't watch NFL football unless there are no college games on. I don't particulary care for it. However, when people have said "If you HAD to pick a team" I've always said "The Saints. I know they're not great, but they're my team if I have to pick one." Just so happens, this past year they were awesome. I am not a bandwagon fan though and won't start watching NFL religiously because of their Super Bowl win but I will still root for them to do well.

3. FSU - (I'm not sure why the icon isn't showing.) I moved to Tallahassee 3 years ago and so many of their fans have accepted me and cheered on my team as well. It's the opposite of how UT's fanbase treated me. I understand that most of the UT digs were in-conference rivalry, but still, it's nice here.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

well it's mutual because i absolutely LOATHE the braves. i would rather eat dogsh!t. :redface:

10. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

1. Self-explanatory. But coming from an almost completely non-sports fan family (brother coaches baseball), I'm as close to a self-made fan as it gets.

2. I just love football. But I have NEVER been a Saints fan. And by God I refuse to be a bandwagon fan even after a SB.

3. Grew up a basketball fan even before I got into football. The NBA has been really competitive and fun to watch the last few years too.

1 person likes this.