The Open Championship

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by shane0911, Jul 19, 2018.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That isnt ruining the game, its confusing your game. I saw Fred Couples a few years ago swing a 7i that I would consider a half assed practice swing and he hit 200 yrs to the center.

You have to remember these guys are hitting blades and not these cavity recessed beginner clubs that we hit with.

Big difference!

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

We're full. Thanks for your consideration. <s>

ParadiseiNC and Bengal B like this.
  3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

@ParadiseiNC Outside of business my time spent on Facebook is measured in minutes--per week. I noticed a trend in late April that lasted through mid May with a lot using the same phrase. Off the top of my head, on a stretch up the I to a friends house...we'd be close to 15 new subdivisions--1200 families there, another 800 there...we're estimating 25,000 additional people in a 20 minute drive.

It got hot and people stopped bitching about the people and started on the heat. It started raining and people stopped bitching about the heat and went on to the water. I'm still bitching about people.

Still not moving.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

In the club head speed ...

It's one of the largest gaps I've seen. Your top 15-20 on tour are over 120. Your average weekender's numbers are probably close to the same: shooting in the mid 90's, club head speed in the mid 90's, and probably 230-240.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well, I’ve got another 15 years before retirement, so who knows what the future will bring. Most likely, we’ll follow our kids as they marry and build families. Definitely, love the area you’re in though.

TerryP likes this.
  6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I'm old enough to have played with persimmon clubs & balata balls in my early years. I can tell you from personal experience that todays clubs & balls do MAKE A HELL OF A DIFFERENCE in performance. One area I will give todays players a big edge is conditioning. You don't see many Fat Jacks out there.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Equipment makes a big different in all sports. I used to play a little tennis. I had a cheap Wilson aluminium racket and I plyed my brother a lot. He had a cheap racket too and our games were pretty even.

One day one of his friends showed up while we were playing and I played again him for a while. He had a brand new Prince oversized racket and he was smoking me. After a while he let me use his old oversize racket and immediately the tables were turned. I started beatng the crap out of him.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The majority of your "executive courses" were built for your weekend golfers using balata's. There was one a few miles from me that was a par 67--72 originally with the balata. I played it often because the fairways were so tight it forced me to play within my game even though greens were reachable.

Equipments and conditioning ... you remember what it was like to wear the old Foot Joy, saddle oxfords with metal spikes. How much easier is to to play now with soft spikes, different uppers and soles, but more specifically wearing a shoe that's a third of the weight?

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

As do I...most of the time.

High tide in this morning...

[​IMG]

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I haven't played in a while but a friend asked me if I could keep some of his stuff while he took a bus to Houston to buy a car and find a place to live. I was looking at his clubs this morning and it's a full set of Callaways, Big Bertha driver and all. An extra putter he said he paid $200 for. If it hadn't rained today I was going to try them out and see if they made a difference.