The other side of the recruiting coin is player development.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBSJD, Jan 5, 2013.

1. LSUBSJD

LSUBSJD Banned Forever

Miles deserves no less than a B+ for recruiting high-caliber athletes. However, player development is equally important and in that regard, he deserves a C- minus, at best. The most egregious example of this is Russell Shepard. What a colossal waste of talent. If Shepard had played for Meyer at Florida, he would've been a huge star.

Eliminator55, Richdog and lsufan52 like this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

You should do a little more homework.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Miles EASILY gets an A+ in that category and it's not even close.

He's had several high profile busts but given the number of kids he's sent to the NFL, overall, I'd have to side with him on the development issue too. Not at the quarterback position, no.

gyver likes this.
  4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Yea that is one of the crazier comments I have heard.

titoabad1 likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

+1.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Meyer hasn't been at Florida in two seasons now and wasn't exactly the best at player development, either.

Winston1 likes this.
  7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

You say no less than a B+ I say no less than an A-. A slight difference I grant. He has been excellent talent evaluator...see the two & three stars who have gone on to show big.

No does that not also show the ability to develop talent? It seems to me he has been able to. I thinks as I said on one post I see player development on the D as spectacular. Look at Mo, Tyrann, Bockers all 2 or 3 stars who blew it up. They are the result of development by a team...position players strength coaches etc. Also look at the LBs since Chavis took over Kelvin Shepard and Perry Riley were transformed in 1 year under Chief.

On offense I think the O line has shown development here and there. T Bob was undersized and weak but became servicable. Faulk was an All American (pre season) before his injury. Likewise the development of Trai Turner & Vadel Alexander were pretty impressive (except the chick bowl)There are others as well. Also as a unit in the last 2 years they have been impressive. TEs have blocked well and this year learned how to catch better. Main problem on the line is recognizing and adjusting to stunts and stupid penalties (false starts, holding).

Our RBs also have shown development. I look for development in backs not so much as runners I see as a natural gift but in how they learn blitz pick ups hot reads blocking etc. I think our backs do a good job.

Where we have seen little development is in QBs and WRs. Here I see little improvement in mechanics (passing or route running) basic skill (pass accuracy or catching) and recognition.

So how do I rate coaches on development? I give them a solid B+ on D and a C+ on O. Too bad we probably get a D in the critical position of QB. As Mett is a Sr I would give Krags 1 more year as QB coach. The move of Studs from OC to Oline only is needed as well. Maybe Steve Ensminger can call plays he has had success before.

8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

The reason Meyer left UF is because he couldnt develop all those big time recruits he was bringing in. Had Brantley been the QB he was touted to be Meyer would still be at UF. Meyer is a good coach but he isnt as great as he was appearing to be. Meyer was seriously helped out by having two exceptional players in Tebow and Harvin. Meyer left UF because he wasnt developing the players as well as expected and he was losing because of it. He used the health reasons but had Meyer been developing the talent he would still be there. He left while his star was still shining bright.

As for Miles I dont think its so much development as it is general focus. For the most part Miles and LSU has done a good job in developing players. The only position LSU hasnt coached up is QB. Its his lack of adjustments thats killing LSU the last few years. Its also the crappy play calling. The biggest thing is Miles has gone away from his strengths of balls out coaching to win and now trying to "outcoach" opponent.s

lsufan52 likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Shepard is a tweener. Good running back but too light to take the pounding as a feature back. Good moves with the ball after catching a pass, but too short and trouble getting open to be a feature wideout.

Maybe he should have been a DB. He's been fantastic on special teams coverage where he saved two TD returns from happening. Last man to beat and he was not beaten. He had the angle and the speed and he ran them down and tackled them solidly.

Winston1 likes this.
  10. martin

martin Banned Forever

The nfl is absolutely bursting t the seams with lsu players. Miles can recruit better than almost anyone. It's how he wins. A+ recruiter. If you are gonna be a terrible play caller and abysmal time manager, you damn well better have the best athletes, which miles does.

Kal-El012, Richdog and ParadiseiNC like this.