The other side of the recruiting coin is player development.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBSJD, Jan 5, 2013.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Shepards brother played DB in high school and was a very good player at that position. Looking back, LSU has done well with former High school QB's playing DB.

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Since Les has been at LSU, 11 First Round Picks and 45 Players Drafted into the NFL. Must be doing something right.

This looks to be a great year for DL coming out of high school. LSU only signed one player last year, guess they knew what they were doing?
    Remember, Michael Brockers came to LSU as a 6'6" 255# DE and left a 306# DT taken in the first round, the 14th player taken.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

The arbitrary ranking of some website in no way, shape or form affect the performance of a player. You point to Russell Shepard and claim a failure to develop talent. I point to Jacob Hester and Mo Claiborne and point out evidence to the contrary.

StaceyO likes this.
  4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

See e.g., Jacob Hester, Barkevious Mingo, Tharold Simon, Morris Claiborne, Alfred Blue, Bennie Logan, Alex Hurst, P.J. Lonergan, Danny McCray, Perry Riley, Jacob Cutrera, Kelvin Sheppard.

And let's not forget Tyrann Mathieu, whose drug habit I do not burden Miles's reputation with.

5. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

Correct and especially QB's.

6. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Do you guys really think Miles is wholly responsible for the development of every single LSU player? Or do you think that maybe some of the other dozens of personnel might have something to do with it?

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Of course not...as head coach he has overall and final responsibility. If he sees there is a problem he needs to find a way to solve it, either by counseling the coach responsibile or changing coaches.

Les has done this in the past and I expect he will again.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Miles and his staff at LSU since he has been have recruited phenomenally. There are few if any that have done better. We just need a passing game.

9. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

IMO taking 4 and 5 star players that play as true freshmen and go to the NFL as juniors does not show development. IMO, taking players like Jacob Hester and turning them into LSU legends shows player development. I regularly watch another guy take 2 and 3 star talent and turn them into real football players. However, I am probably one of a very few on this forum that follows 2 college football teams really close.

gumborue likes this.
  10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Lets see LaSalle Mo was a 2 star when commited, HB as well Brockers I'm not sure but he wasn't 4 star. I also believe Chavis did wonders with Kelvin Shepard & perry Riley.

Notice all are on the D side. Someone help if anything I would think some on the OL have been coached up.