The other side of the recruiting coin is player development.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBSJD, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

I apologize I should have been more specific. The offense which Gary Crowton led at Oregon was not the one which we saw during his tenure in Baton Rouge. I am also pretty sure that you don't get the same talent pool in Maryland as you would in Eugene or Baton Rouge.

Please dont perceive this as taking up for Crowton, that is not what I am attempting. The bottom line is the offense for the tigers has struggled for a while now.

2. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Did not say he WAS JFF but he is and WAS very good............his talent was NOT exposed by LSU offensive coaches. Perhaps you can explain the offensive juggernaut LSU is not???

3. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Once again, agree with every word! Other schools figure a way to get guys like that on the field and the ball in thier hands. Big 10 3 yards and a cloud of dust theory won't work and did not.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Still, we had plenty talent shine in the areas while RS was a/is a Tiger.

He touched the ball everywhere but QB.

His vision sucks and his hands are inconsistent.

I mean, the proof is in his NFL stock. We see time after time RB's from LSU who were the #2 man make it in the NFL. RS, in my opinion, wouldn't even impress at the NFL combine.

He was a 3* labeled as a 5*. He didn't grow into WR or RB even though he was given the chance to make plays.

5. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I understand where you're coming from, I still suspect Les hired him initially to build that system around Perrilloux, and then didn't have the first clue about adapting to a pro-style, run-based offense with freshmen QBs he then had to develop. When I hear people use Crowton's "handcuffing" statement as ammunition to support their "Les as OC" argument, I tend to look at what he's done since leaving LSU to assess if there's any truth to it, and it now looks like nothing more than a self-serving statement for him to salvage his reputation.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You saw what Crowton could do in 07, after 08, Les tried to make some sort of hybrid pro style spread offense, which may have worked had it not been for the complete turd we had in Jordan Jeffereson. If Shepard had worked out as a qb, who knows, maybe Crowton is still here.

7. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I think that Miles is just as responsible for the development of every single player as he is for every single mis-executed offensive play.

8. LaSalleAve

Good answer, you should run for office.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I watched RS 5 times in high school, no where close to JF. RS was a Athlete playing QB, LSU has had a bunch in this class. JF, has great field vision, not many football players have this.

10. LaSalleAve

Watch Shepard and Spencer Ware's high school footage, Spencer was a better qb.