The Oversigning Cup

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by red55, Jan 13, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Oversigning.com has LSU as #3 on the oversigned teams behind Alabama and Ole Miss.

If LSU signs 23, we will be 13 players over the 83 self-imposed scholarship limit for 2011.

There must be 13 transfers, flunk-outs, medical hardships or other departures or Les will have to gray shirt recruits or pull scholarships. That's more than I can remember in a long time.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

This is why I found it odd that we signed so many last year when this was such a talent rich high school class in 2011. I have to imagine Les would have been more careful had he known this story was going to blow up like it has.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Some people are going to lose their scholarships. They will make it work. And ESPN can suck deez nutz.

4. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

Am I wrong or are scholarships not year to year. I dont have a problem with some of the ones who were on scholarship last year that have not performed or are just not needed to be cut loose. It is a bussiness and should be treated as one.

5. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Ahhhh I dont know if I agree with that..

These are kids man. Many who came from very poor families that are getting a college degree.

They committed to LSU. I agree they need to earn their scholarships but I struggle with the "Just cut them loose" mentality....

I had to pay for school so I can appreciate they honor they have of getting that free ride. BUT I also struggle with "its a business" its not. This is a college football team who has a big responsibility to the young men who play on it.
    Its bad for our university and for our state to get a reputation like that.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

TOPS is/will be available to many of them. There are plenty of ways to keep these kids in school if they have good grades.

7. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

If it's a medical hardship the kids stay in school. If they decide to transfer they stay in school. If the universities don't renew their scholarship most are outstanding in placing them in a smaller school with perhaps more playing time. How many of these kids are in school just to play football and have little to no interest in the school work? They are taking up a scholly as well.

Good to see the Ohio State and Mr. Tressel mentioned as the prototypical, gee why can't I be like you, university. I know, these days, when I think about honesty, integrity and doing things the right way with a sense of fairness and sportsmanship they immediately come to mind.

8. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

13 is an awful lot of players to cut loose.

Here's 10 possible candidates to transfer:

DT Chris Davenport
    CB Drayton Calhoun
    LB Josh Johns
    LB Tahj Jones
    S Rocky Duplessis
    DE Chauncey Aghayere
    WR Chris Tolliver
    FB Kellen Theriot
    S Derrick Bryant
    QB Jarrett Lee

Not saying any of these guys will transfer. But from looking at the roster, these are guys that don't get much playing time.

9. deuce985

deuce985 Founding Member

Calhoun is one, already off the team apparently.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The number is really around 11 based on Ridley leaving and I hear Drayton Calhoun and a few others have already decided they want more playing time elsewhere. So maybe around 7 or 8 or less at this time.