The Oversigning Cup

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by red55, Jan 13, 2011.

1. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Any idea on who the others are that might be leaving? :LSU231:

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Would rather not at this time. Only reason I said Drayton's name is because I know for sure he did not come back after the break.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Our players? So many of them have a hard enough time getting through Clearinghouse but then there's also the Louisiana residency requirment: Must have resided in Louisiana for at least two years and have graduated from a Louisiana high school to be eligible to apply for TOPS.

So I would not count on TOPS to bail us out.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I dam sure don't.

Actually they ARE "year-to-year" but short of disciplinary, medical or hd coach changes, do we REALLY want to be in the business of pulling scholarships for a "more promising" prospect? Maybe we need to do a better job with recruiting in the first place, no?

Got to tip my hat to Tressel on his approach. (From red's Oversigning.com link)​

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

We have 80 currently on scholarship.
    Losing 9 to graduation=71.
    Losing PP, SR, and as BHelm mentioned, Calhoun=68.
    Cam Fordham greyed last year...so he gets one=69.
    We can only have 83 per self imposed sanctions, so if we sign more than 14, we have to lose some. If we plan on signing 23, we need to lose 9 to attrition.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign more than 23. You have potential greyshirt candidates, plus some that may not qualify. Don't be shocked.

6. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

Murphy may also get a sixth year....I assume that is on scholly as well??

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

VERY unlikely that happens...

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

TOPS scholarships are hard to get and very hard to keep, as well. A significant number of regular college students lose them after the first year.

9. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

really?? ive heard opposite. Word his Murphy's case is similar to James Rodgers out at Oregon St who recently was givin his 6th year. dunno

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Murphy is one kid that I have a helluva lot of respect for. He's been dealt some tough cards, and has always handled himself maturely and with incredible intestinal fortitude. Very deserving of the #18, too.
    -
    With that said, James Rodgers is needed on the field for Oregon St. and lot more than Murphy is at LSU. Murphy rarely saw the field at LSU this year, and when he did, he was not very productive...except he could block pretty well in third down situations. Frankly, LSU doesn't need an extra RB...and DOES need the scholly.
    -
    This isn't the same as the "cut 'em loose if they aren't producing" attitude. Murph's been here 5 years. He should be done with school by now, so let's move forward.