The perfect pizza

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pontius Pilate, Jan 10, 2010.

1. TigerFanNTenn

TigerFanNTenn Founding Member

I had that back in '04 and O.M.G. It's amazing.

Thanks! I'll have to try it when I go.

I LOVE going to BR because I'm surrounded by my people. I do my best here in Florida.

2. Celtic Tiger

Celtic Tiger Tiger Stadium West Dorm

Went to Chi town 14 years ago, my wife's family brough back to their house really good deep dish take out pizza. Don't know where it was from. Thick fresh and sause and topping falling off some place on the south side.:thumb:

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

add me to the list of fleur de lis fans. i try to go a couple of times a season when we are in town for games.

i cant think of anywhere here that does pizza like fdl. now i am craving it just thinking of it.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Campisi's in Dallas has the Fleur de Lis-style pizza.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There were once four great pizza's in Baton Rouge. Only one remains.

1. Fleur de Lis -- still going strong but no longer inexpensive.

2. Pinnetta's -- The original Pinneta's made fabulous pizzas baked on black iron pans in the 70's. But they dropped them around 1980 because there were too many students taking up room in the small place eating $3 pizza's while citizens waiting in line to get in to buy $10 dinners and wine.

3. Europes -- Made great pizza's until they went under in the 80's, I guess. The north Baton Rouge neighborhood went south.

4. Difatta's Italian Restaurant -- In Tigertown where Rasing Canes is now located. The Difatta's were an old couple and they retired and closed the place in the late 1970's. It was tiny and had real wood paneling and absolutely the best pizza in town, better than FDL. I have searched 30 years for another pizza with that flavor and so far failed. A parlor in Alexandria called Newcomb's Pizza was close, but it is gone, too.

Mostly I go to the Pastime, now. The pizza's are very good, fairly priced, and with only a short wait. I understand that there are new pizza places out in Courseyland, but I ain't going that far for pizza with FDL and the Pastime only a mile from home.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Baton Rouge is quite simply a horrible pizza town.

FDL is pretty good. Shlitz and Giggles has pretty good pizza by the slice, but I hate the fake atmosphere and 6 dollars for a Shlitz... come on.

I really don't care for Pasttimes. They just put way too much cheese for my liking. I also think most of thier gimmick pizzas are gross. The boudin pizza is awful, and the crawfish one isn't very good either.

Regineli's is good, but is often too greasy.

Diangelo's is another decent pizza, but kind of pricey.

As far as toppings go...

If I'm doing a whole pie:
    Sweep the kitchen and toss on some of the fuzzy fish.

If by the slice:
    Peporoni, and lots of onions.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I remember picking up pizza from Europes and going to the Tiger Drive In as a kid. Great pizza, very sad it's gone. FDL isn't cheap, but I wouldn't call it expensive either, especially for the quality you get compared to some of the flavorless higher priced places.

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Europe's was still around in the early 90's. They had incredible pizza and an awesome sensation salad. It's too bad they weren't in a better part of town. Just the smell when you walked into that place was heavenly.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's not always too much cheese, but that they put it on top of the toppings, unlike most places.

A good pizza at The Pastime is the hot sausage, really greasy, but tasty. The Shrimp and feta cheese pizza is pretty good. Shrimp, garlic, black olives, red onions, mozarella cheese and sprinkled with feta cheese and rosemary.

10. UPTTiger

UPTTiger Founding Member

When I lived in Boston I used to go to a place called Crazy Doughs. They have won the International Pizza of the Year award twice. My favorite was the Nutty Tuscan. They also had PBR for $4/pitcher.

"Our famous sauce-less pie, topped with oven roasted plum tomato, caramelized onion, roasted garlic, toasted pine nuts, crumbled gorgonzola, finished with fresh from the stem basil and pesto."