The QB Postion: Something MUST give!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by FireLesNow!, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Shepard was a five-star athlete because of his overall athleticism - not his quarterback skills which were medocre at best for most of his high school career. Look at his stats. I said when he committed to LSU that he is best suited as a running back and/or wide receiver. He is at the position he needs to be. Lee should be the starting quarterback for the rest of the season, but the best solution is for LSU to recruit an elite quarterback. Unfortunately that will not happen this year.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

With that name you registered under, I'm not surprised you're unhappy. I slept like a baby.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I say give it to Lee and give him a chance. If he starts performing poorly after a couple games, then give it back to JJ. This alternating series is not the way to go. WR's and QB's have to be insync and that happens in practice. Lee seemed to make some progressions and the last drive was good for him. But he makes some atrocious decisions when he sees pressure. The intentional grounding and the lame duck 30 yards long and 30 yds high was horrid. That was a big issue for him 2 yrs ago.

I think if Lee can halt the bad decisions like that he is a better qb. JJ stares down the primary and waits for the route to complete before he decides to throw it. If it's not open the other WR's have completed their routes and come out of their breaks and are now covered for the most part. 3-4 seconds have then passed and the play is essentially over.

I can't believe we haven't lost a game yet. We owe our defense for our record and even worse game management by UT than LSU for the win last name.

4. SabanFan

Yes and the defense is getting a raw deal here. If/when we lose a game, people will quit on the Tigers and the stadium will be half full. These guys have nearly single-handedly kept us undefeated but 99% of the discussion is about the coaches and the QB and the offense.

If we were 5-0 and won every game by 56-42 everyone would be deliriously happy.

5. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Shepard is not a full time QB. We were the only school who said we'd give him a shot at playing QB.

Lee looked rough at times, but after yesterday, he deserves the majority of the snaps for a while, and not a quick hook either. JJ got a long leash, and JL deserves the same.

6. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's clear the WR's had given up on JJ because as soon as JL came in they started working hard to make the catch.

It's CLEAR JL is very rough around the edges. Multiple passes were off and you can see that he's still uncomfortable in the pocket. However at least those look like things that more snaps can improve.

Hell we asked the guy to lead our team down the field and throw the ball 23 times (he only threw the ball 40 times total in '09) while not having started a game in 2 years.

Yes at times JL looked bad, but at least he looked like a QB.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Damn right.

8. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Red you are looking at the symptom instead of the problem. The passing game is a direction result of the incompetence of Crowton. If you have a bad OC, the first thing that is going to go is the passing game and it doesn matter if you have Peyton Manning back there. The only thing that held the passing game together yesterday is Lee's arm strength to make 2-3 incredible throws.

There is no other QB in the SEC that you could put in this system and they will be successful.... none, nada, zero.

You are witnessing an offense that was completely destroyed by 2009.

Crowton has two types of pass plays.
    1.) Short premeditated one man routes either WR screen or RB middle screen
    2.) All receivers go long with no dump-off routes

That is putting a QB in a no win situation down after down. This offense is not going to work for any QB you put back there hose. Lee has the 2nd best arm in the league, he is going to need help... Crowton play calling and stupid scheme and gimmicks will not help him.

Time to cut the cord on Crowton was years ago, until you get a real OC in there it's just going to be survive the season.

9. SabanFan

Hopefully he'll see the film and learn to throw that fade to the outside. A holding penalty (allegedly) cost him a nice drive as well. JLee did not look rattled at all.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Chief, if you can't recognize that Jefferson is a very poor quarterback, then there is no hope for you.

This thread is about the quarterback. Do you have to derail every single thread into another Crowton rant? There are about a dozen bad coaching threads already. Do you know anything else about the game of football beside Gary Crowton? Do you care that we have a real quarterback issue? Did you even notice that Lee passed for 185 yards yesterday and Jefferson for 30 . . . although both were coached by Crowton, one is better than the other.

Hey, everybody agrees that Crowton is a poor OC. Move on. There are other issues to discuss here today.

1 person likes this.