The real deal why LSU swapped Houston for Arkansas State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Mar 13, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I am not sure if anyone tied all of this together, but it appears this entire Houston swap out with Arkansas State was part of a bigger deal with OU:

Here is the writeup by Stewart Mandel (excerpt) from Sports Illustrated:

"Recent Sugar Bowl foes Oklahoma and LSU have agreed to a future home-and-home series as part of a deal that allowed the Sooners to swap their Sept. 11 opponent, Arkansas State, with LSU's scheduled foe, Houston. OU was looking to upgrade its non-conference schedule, which also includes Florida A&M, after a reported deal with Oregon fell through."

2. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I don't know where Mandel got his info, but according to Joe Castiglione, ZeroU ad, nothing has been finalized for a series. They have agreed to ongoing talks and if it takes place at all, the series won't be for 6-7 yrs. down the road.
    :helmet: :champs: :helmet: :champs:

3. Eauxkie Tiger

Eauxkie Tiger Founding Member

I hope we didn't let Cougar High off the hook for a possible series 6 to 7 years down the road with the swooners. The odds of that happening I think will be slim & none. We should start it next year in Baton Rouge & make the trip to Norman in 06.

4. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

I don't think I get your point?? How is what you're saying anything different than the press release directly from LSU (lsusports.net). The possible OU home & home was released at the exact time as the Ark St/Houston schedule change. That info was released on Wed (3/10).

5. TigerPrideLSU

TigerPrideLSU Founding Member

How long will it be until we play OU? The SOONER THE BETTER!

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

What I don't like about letting UH out of the series is LSU may no longer have the chance to play here in Texas.

A&M isn't likely to want LSU anytime soon, in part b/c LSU broke their end of the deal last time around. A series versus UT was briefly rumored to take place in Houston a few years back, but nothing came of it.

What about another good, Texas-based team like TCU, assuming they're interested (and, since they're hell-bent on making a BCS game, they should be interested in tough non-conf. games).

Texas is too fertile a recruiting area to not be playing a Texas school on a frequent basis; all of LSU's main recruiting competitors (UT, OU, A&M) can't have the "field" of Texas all to themselves.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

playing a game against Houston doesn't appear to me to be such a big deal in the state of Texas as not that many people pay a lot of attention to houston but I guess a little exposure is better than none at all. Beating aTm would be much better though.