The real reason we dont like Auburn

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jeffinbama, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

I have lived in Alabama all my life, and have been pondering how this feeling towards Auburn has been festering for the last few years and it all comes to a common person in that organization "Tubby".

I have known Alabama and Auburn fans and there is a definate difference between them. Alabama fans are very tradition oriented to a fault. They change a light bulb and talk about how great it was. Most of their fans sit on their collective hands at games and continue to try to soak up the Bear tradition. The other "fans" are your NASCAR enthusiasts, who never stepped foot on the campus until they went to a football game, have another hobby to go watch.

Auburn on the other hand has your good ole boy type of fans that love their team win or lose and have a passion when they walk into the stadium. I have always said Auburn fans lead the country in RPM's on shakers. I really like Auburn fans and how they support their teams. I grew up with all these folks and have in the last few years began to have an intense disliking to their program because of their coach.

In the Bham paper last week, there was an article talking about how all the the west schools hate tubberville. Some of the things that have bothered me about Tubbs are as follows:

1. The lighting up of cigars against a team that really was pitiful. I have always said as our bball coach says, a team is a reflection of its coach.

2. Running up the score at Auburn a few years ago when he could have hit a knee.

3. The stomping on the logo and the Duval on the field as our band played.

4. His complete lack of his own accountability when he loses. Ask Auburn fans how much he blames the players instead of himself.

5. His spineless firing of the coaches that followed him from Ole Miss just because King Lowder (Auburn's Steinbreiner) told him to.

I can go on but my point is that while I respect and like the Auburn fans and what their team has done, I completely disrespect their coach. I have not met many Auburn fans that say they like him mainly because he doesnt represent a true Auburn person that has class both on the field and off. Most of them say that if he stumbles whatsoever, they will run him out of town on the next train because of the antics that he does to embarrass them.

I look forward to discussion from both sides on this one.

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

We have to beat Auburn. If we lose I might run out onto the field and tackle Tubbs! I absolutely hate that man.

3. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

He's not so bad. He' maybe not the most photogenic/mediagenic coach around, but I haven't seen as much of the stuff you mention. Blaming players for example - I believe he calls it like he sees it, but I've never seen him do it at the expense of the players. I think thats why he was so willing to take the criticism early in the year without lashing out.

The lighting of the cigars was not bad, just shouldn't have been outside the locker room. Anyway, just my opinion.

4. terry cox

terry cox Founding Member

The Memphis media cover Ole Miss as its home SEC team. When Tuberville left Ole Miss, many Ole Miss supporters wrote letters to the editor and called the radio talk shows stating that Tuverville was never the gentleman that SEC schools like to think that their coaches are. Many said that his Miami Hurricane roots always showed through.

5. chuck

chuck Founding Member

1. The lighting up of cigars against a team that really was pitiful. I have always said as our bball coach says, a team is a reflection of its coach. (a) It was his first SEC win @ Auburn and his birthday, I'll bet you $500 he wouldn't have done it if he knew how pissed off he'd make LSU players and fans. - btw, 4 years ago.

2. Running up the score at Auburn a few years ago when he could have hit a knee. - (a) players have been quoted that this was done due to late hits and below the pile abuse of Rudi Johnson. Johnson had carried the team all day and not scored - CTT Wanted him to get his TD as a reward - fine with me. CTT showed he is not the type to run up the score as he kneeled on teh ball last year - something LSU fans like to convieniently forget . . btw, 3 years ago

3. The stomping on the logo and the Duval on the field as our band played. (c) logo stomping is stupid - and I'll never defend the Duval thing . .while CTT is responsible for this - I bet he wasnt' aware it was happening (Duval, not the logo). Duval proved time and time again (and continues to prove in the NFL) that he has an attitude problem. . .by the way - UF fans all claim you guys did the same thing to them last year . . . . btw . 2 years ago

4. His complete lack of his own accountability when he loses. Ask Auburn fans how much he blames the players instead of himself. (a) CTT stands up for his players . he always has. He does call it like he sees it (which I like) and will let you know where the problem with the team lies. However, to counter . ..

5. His spineless firing of the coaches that followed him from Ole Miss just because King Lowder (Auburn's Steinbreiner) told him to. (a) spineless my butt - anyone who didnt' think Lovett and Mazonne had to go is on drugs. Look at the improvement that our defense has seen under Chizik - and Mazzone is currently busy lowering Phillip Rivers per game performance numbers as we speak

And folks who think we secretly don't like CTT are completely, utterly wrong. The guy has COMPLETELY rebuilt a program destroyed by Terry Bowden and it is a given that we are in late contention for the SEC title every year. He consistently (5-2 in the last 7) beats top 10 teams, has a good record against our biggest rivals (4 combined losses to bama, UGA, and LSU in 4 years) and is a phenominal recruitier. His biggest flaw is loyalty to assistant coaches - which is why Hugh Nall and Steve Emfinger are our OC's right now . .

6. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

- btw, 4 years ago.

btw, 3 years ago

btw . 2 years ago

Hmmm, I see a pattern here... Wonder why we don't like him? Repeated offenses maybe?

7. TigerwithaRope

TigerwithaRope The Beast driver

fightentiger's point is proven when reading chucks reply...
    making excuses for every point and changing the subject of from them truely not liking him to "look what he's done for us".

8. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

Um, just because he didn't let those so-called "points" go unanswered doesn't mean they are "excuses".

Step back: Clue flying through.

The original post had this:
    I have not met many Auburn fans that say they like him mainly because he doesnt represent a true Auburn person that has class both on the field and off. Most of them say that if he stumbles whatsoever, they will run him out of town on the next train because of the antics that he does to embarrass them.

chuck was simply responding to that "point" as well, not changing the subject.

9. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I use to hate Auburn with a passion when I was at LSU growing up. Now that I am at Georgia and deal with many, many more AU people...I don't mind them that much. I must have caught some Georgia disorder or something.

10. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I still love to dig them