The reason LSU's offense has played better

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerjuice, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Dambit! I missed that one!!

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

you're making fish an escape goat :)

3. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

I guess that is where the problem starts... when people say he is improving I have to wonder what games they are watching. IMHO his passing and dropback skills are the same... ie horrible and I haveseen no improvement there. His running of the option went from fair/good to horrible. So, actually instead of improvement I have seen regression.

I can't think of one skill he has that even if improved will be even near a NFL skill set. That huge throwing mechanic alone is an offensive coordinator's worse nightmare.

He has enough talent to get you to 7-10 wins a year if the talent around him is the top of the top like LSU. Other than that I see no skill set in any way that an NFL team is going to say I need him.

I could see where he probably dominated in HS... but those things that worked in HS don't allows translate over to the NFL. To me if I were to compare him to someone it would be Aaron Brooks but he is not as physically gifted as him, Jason Campbell is probably another one. The days of huge throwing mechanics in the NFL have been gone for a long time... I have no idea why the Redskins drafted him.

I respect your opinion, but like I asked in the other thread about him... exactly what skill do you think even remotely translate to the NFL at the QB position for Jefferson?

4. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Well, from the perspective that says very few college QBs actually make any waves in the NFL, that's a fair post.

I'm not sure how much you rewatch games. But JJ is clearly improving.
    1. His reads are better.
    2. He stays in the pocket longer.
    3. He takes a sack when he has to.
    4. He throws the ball away more.
    5. He's starting to regulate his velocity based on the situation - not every throw is a frozen rope.
    6. He's taking more chances with the football - he was being too conservative, maybe because the coaches were handcuffing him.
    7. He's getting incrementally more accurate.
    8. He's getting incrementally better in his dropbacks.

Does he still have a long way to go? Yep. Do I think he's ever going to have Jarrett Lee's throwing motion? Nope. Do all NFL QBs have a quick release? Nope. Do all guys with beautiful throwing motions make good NFL QBs? Nope.

1.5 seasons of starts to go, plus another spring and summer.

I think Jefferson is a 4 year guy. But I also think 2010 is going to be a very good year for LSU football. And he may get enough press, and improve enough, to be in the conversation for an early departure.

I don't think it will happen. But the folks who are talking about it aren't stupid or unrealistic - they just have a different opinion.

5. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

He makes no reads what so ever, if his primary guy is covered he panics and doesn't look anywhere else.

He does a half run/half stays in the pocket which usually results in a sack. The ball should be gone way before that even occurs.

Most of those sacks have been avoidable, drops way too deep in the pocket and doesn't step up. Been like that all year.

He did throw a few away against Tulane but that was caused by not going through progressions, ball should have been gone way before that.

When the guys are wide open by 20 yards which is what happened in the Tulane game, he is not over doing it.... I agree there.

I didn't see this at all, I actually think he plays kind of smart in this regard, he knows he can't get to receivers so he takes the sack. The problem is the ball should be gone and gone in a hurry.

Hard for me to tell, the passes he has been completing down the field the receivers are open by 20 yards. The ones on the sidelines are not bad, never thought they were bad they are just way late and the receiver has to wait on the ball and the defender comes in to challenge.

I see the same thing other than in the Tulane game he threw a few away. The problem is the ball should have been gone way before that. He still drops about 2-5 yards too far back.

Kind of true, but they don't keep their job for long. The days of sitting there with a huge mechanic have been over for a long time but you will still see stupid NFL guys draft the Jason Campbell's of the world.

Again, kind of agree... you don't have to have a good looking motion. Manning has kind of an ugly motion but it's short, quick and accurate. You have to be able to get the ball out quick, and accurate, and on time.

I will give him this, he knows he can't make the play and doesn't try to. To me the only thing keeping him off the bench. It's the Kyle Orton/Chad Pennington mentality, which works if the rest of your team is dominating, when they are not it just looks ugly. To be honest, the offense is not going to look great while you have the OC doing what he is doing.

Again, I respect your opinion although I disagree on this subject.

6. CBScollegesport

CBScollegesport Freshman

Are you heading to the game this weekend?

If you’re going to be at the game this Saturday to see LSU take on Alabama, stop by the CBS College Sports Network SEC Tailgate.

Starting at 10am local time from the lawn of Doster Hall we will have free giveaways, temporary tattoos, cheer cards, activities, and more.

We will be broadcasting a LIVE show from 1-2pm CT hosted by Phil Fulmer from the studio, and Dave Baker, Lauren Shehadi and special guest Marty Lyons, former Alabama defensive tackle, on-site.

Join Coach Fulmer, Dave Baker and Marty Lyons for pre-game analysis, interviews, and a taste of everything that makes college football in the south the best in the country.

And if you can’t make it to the Tailgate, be sure to watch the show on CBS College Sports Network from 2-3pm ET. Go to cbscollegesports.com to find out what channel we’re on in your area.

7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

WOW, we have been contacted by the big boys. I guess that should be a compliment to the site and the fans on here.:geaux: :LSU231:

8. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Or an advertisement. :hihi:

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Which is why I said, "guess that should be", because it really isn't. :lol:

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

No, they're not mirages. They're the actual product when played against an extremely subpar opponent. It's a real as it gets. It's just foolhardy to anticipate anything remotely similar versus 'Bama.

I think we need to worry about stopping Mark Ingram first. Then let's worry about scoring points. Crowton needs to stop overthinking the playcalling and go with what works best, then exploit the matchups and hope that the O-Line doesn't fall apart (again).