The Reason R.C. Slocum was interviewed.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TwistedTiger, Jan 13, 2005.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

This is the first time I've seen this and I thought some might find it interesting, sorry if it was posted earlier.
    From the Times Picayune:

Why in the world would a former President get involved I have no idea, maybe a personal friend. I sure hope Skip did the interview strickly as a courtesy to Bush and not as a serious interview.

Link to article

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I guess if Dubya called me and asked me to interview RC for a postion with my company I would comly with his wished too. Wouldn't want the IRS going over my tax returns to closely.

3. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

This is among the most bizarre news pieces I've seen in a long time! A former president recommending someone!?! Yea, I guess I'd call him in too, at least a perfunctory courtesy interview.

4. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Wasn't it Nixon that got heavily involved with the Redskins? So it is not totally unheard of... :)

5. raylsu

raylsu Founding Member

Dubya or "W" is the son and current president. George H. W. Bush is the ex-president of the US and his father. Just to clarify.

6. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Bush is very involved in Texas A&M. In fact, the school is the location of his Presidential Library (http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/). I would assume that Bush and Slocum developed a relationship over the years, and Bush simply put in a call to recommend his friend for a position. The only really strange thing about this is that most people don't get phone calls out of the blue from former Presidents of the United States.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Read it wrong, my bad

8. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

GHWB has close connections with A&M and has a library named after him I believe.
    That is probably the reason he called. He felt sorry for a friend of his and wanted to try and help him.

I was a bit worried when I saw Slocum's name on the list. He was hardnosed from what I gather and graduated a lot of athletes. He was a DC at heart like Saban but never allowed the offense to open up the passing game. He was a really good DC though.

9. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Is he trying to ruin our football program? ;)

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Maybe Bush can make some calls to each school's respective AD's and "suggest" they re-establish the football series between the two schools.