The results the elephant men DON'T want to mention

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tom, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Tom

Tom Founding Member

As usual, the old GOP doesn't mind forgetting a few facts. If you believe them, the Democratic Party got whacked across the board. NOT SO! Let's look at the highest office in each state, which BTW is where presidents (both the legally and illegally elected ones) have been getting their starts for the most part. The Democrats took away FROM the Republicans the following governorships that I know of.

Illinois (hadn't held the governorship in that state in DECADES)
    Pennsylvania (usually elects a more conservative candidate)
    Wisconsin (Tommy Thompson's old office taken away)
    Tennessee (doesn't look like the Republican state some have represented it to be)
    Michigan (hadn't held the governorship there in a few terms)

The Democrats lost Georgia and I believe one other state they held. Thus, the Democrats had a NET GAIN of governorships, hardly swept away by the tidal wave that the elephant men on this board are misrepresenting the Congressional races to be. In fact, the GOP won every tight race in the Senate which is the ONLY reason they have a majority. If the tight ones had split, instead of a very few points deciding always in the GOP's direction, they wouldn't even have won a majority. Basically, every senate seat that I can think of that the Democrats won, they WON EASILY. So, as usual, the spin doctors of the GOP are trying to claim more credibility than they really have. Of course, this from a party that claimed that Sapling's "win" in the 2000 election was a mandate. THEY LOSE the popular vote by 500,000 votes, and they have a mandate. ROTFLMAO!! Of course, the GOP has never been very good at math -- look at the way they "borrow and spend" and yet CLAIM to be fiscally conservative.

2. Tom

Tom Founding Member

My list was woefully inadequate as far as NEW Democratic governors

The Democrats also ascended to power in the governorships of:

Kansas (pretty good for a so called "lefty" party, huh)
    New Mexico (Bill Richardson of the Clinton era won that one)
    Maine
    Oklahoma (geez, has the Okie state turned "commie" on us)
    Wyoming

Add the previously mentioned 5 ascensions to power, and the Democrats SWAMPED the elephant men in the governors' races. Hmmm, wonder if the GOP will be able to survive this? That is no more of a reach than the GOP dog(ma) poop that elephant men posters are spinning on this board.

3. KentL

KentL Freshman

When handed lemons, make lemonade?

What you conveniently forget to mention is that the Democrats were expected to gain a clear MAJORITY of Governorships - didn't happen. Depending on the outcome of the Alabama race, the Democrats will hold either 24 or 25 Governorships - a modest improvement, but below expectations.

4. Tom

Tom Founding Member

'Modest improvement' -- ROTFLMAO!!

They turned over 10 governorships that their party did NOT hold and lost only a couple, and you call that 'modest improvement'. I think there were 35 or so governorships up, and they turned over approximately 33% of them(almost 50% of the ones they could have turned over). There were about 34 senator races, and the GOP took 3 of them, about 10%. And yet, you guys are claiming some great victory in the senate. You guys need to revisit Math 101. I will say that MORE GOP governorships were up for grabs (about twice as many I believe), but still, you got your butts kicked to have Democratic governors now in states like Oklahoma, Kansas, and Tennessee, hardly Democratic bastions the last several years.

5. LSUMJ

LSUMJ Founding Member

exactly how is a minority of governors being demos a victory for you?
    will you sack up and admit your failures in predictions?
    jeb, harris, the entire house? etc etc?

6. KentL

KentL Freshman

Re: 'Modest improvement' -- ROTFLMAO!!

straight from the WaPo (see link below for entire article).

"Democrats picked up a modest number of governorships in Tuesday's elections, prompting both political parties to claim vindication yesterday in their approaches to state government, and igniting debate over which party was in a stronger position for the 2004 presidential election.

With only the outcome of the close gubernatorial contest in Alabama still unsettled late yesterday, Democrats were certain to hold the top posts in 24 or 25 states, reflecting the evenly divided electorate across the country.

The results would amount to a net gain of three or four governorships for the Democrats and a net loss of one or two for the GOP. There are currently two independent governors, in Maine and Minnesota, but neither sought reelection Tuesday."

And later in the article

"Burdett Loomis, a political science professor at the University of Kansas, said Democrats "are probably a little bit better off than they were for 2004" as a result of Tuesday's gubernatorial elections. But he added that "Republicans had many more vulnerable governor's seats, and they came through pretty well. It is part of an overall really good night for the Republicans. It may be less obvious, but it still plays into the overall strength of the Republican performance." "

I'd also note that the GOP gained Governorships in Maryland (first since the 60's), Georgia (first since the 70's - that is the 1870's) and Hawaii (first since the 60's).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20737-2002Nov6.html