The Rooney Rule

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by shane0911, Jan 19, 2018.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Since it came to be in what 03 or 04 has a minority ever gotten a HC job because of It? This thing is a farce. I know that some of these guys benefit from the process but I still think it is bullshit.

Richdog likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't think there are any more black coaches since the rule than there were before it.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

it’s dumb, I think it’s counterproductive and if I were a black coach I would be offended if I was just being interviewed as a formality which is what it seems like.

shane0911 and Bengal B like this.
  4. shane0911

Exactly what I was getting at. Where is @LSUMASTERMIND when you need him

5. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I think thats the point of the rule for some of the guys, that are under the radar to get their name in the coaching carousel, so to that point its definitely a benefit. I think what everyone is missing that, no where in the rule does it state to a minority coach has to be hired.
    However, the down side to the rule is just the lip service that is being paid to some minority coaches in the interview process, like every rule the pros and cons have to be measured and I think the NFL sees the greater good vs it not being done or how it was before the rule came into place.
    Personally my feelings are mixed, Affirmative Action is mostly an insult, but some institutions just refuse to change and there is no objective merit based decisions that are ever made, not sure thats the NFL M.O, now or in 2003.

Thats all I got, see yall!
    Shane anytime you want me to jump in on something, just text me, glad to lend my thoughts for you homie!

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

If Wikipedia can be trusted, in the history of the NFL, minorities got head coaching jobs 15 times before the RR was instituted. This includes coaches who were hired more than once, like Herm Edwards and Tony Dungy. Since the rule was implemented, minority head coaches have been hired 18 times, again including repeats, but not including interim appointments (5 of those). Minorities currently hold 8 of the 32 head coaching position in the NFL (the most at any time in league history), with 4 vacant. That means minorities hold 25% of the existing jobs, and that number could increase before next season.

watson1880, didit and ParadiseiNC like this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Good to see you post man, hope you and the fam are well.

HalloweenRun and kcal like this.
  8. shane0911

But how many of those are or can be attributed directly to the rule? I don't think any but that is just my .02

If a GM or owner knows who they want to hire then that is why they want to hire regardless of what color he is.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

All my previous post proves for certain is that minority hiring has risen dramatically since the rule was put in place. Until some owners come forward and say they hired a minority candidate that they would not have even interviewed if not for the rule, we'll never know for sure. So many jobs come open where it seems like everyone immediately knows who's going to get hired. In a case like that, the Rooney interview is a farce, and if I were the "candidate" who got that interview, I'd be insulted.

I think both you and @LSUMASTERMIND made the point that the rule helps some minority coaches by just getting them the experience of the interview. That would be an interesting stat to track....how many of the minority coaches hired since '03 got passed over in previous searches where their interviews satisfied the RR?

shane0911 likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why hasn't Terry Robiske ever been a head coach? Well respected long time coordinator who has been an interim head coach at least once.