The SEC and the BCS Era

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 6, 2014.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

USC made 7 appearances in BCS bowl games and has a 6-1 record. Yes our title was stripped. I still know what happened on the field and I'll even give up the points Reggie scored in that game against Oklahoma. Lol. Add in that under PC, USC was ranked in the top 10 for 7 consecutive seasons. Maybe hard to place but I can't say sketchy.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

What in the hell is wrong with you all saying the BCS was wonderful. It sucked and 98% of the posters here (and CFB fans everywhere) bitched about it weekly. It's also why we're going to what everyone wants, a playoff. Geez, I thought my memory was bad but some of you have short ones, for sure.

As for it being good for LSU, one year- definitely. The only two loss team to play in it; however, the other two years: One year it gave us a rematch and another year it didn't give us the team we (and everbody else beside OU fans) did want.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read past the second page before posting this. I see it was already brouught up so just disregard.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    LaSalleAve likes this.
  3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

No one is saying the BCS was great, just a lot better than what we had previously.

StaceyO likes this.
  4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

The purpose of the BCS was to put the #1 team against the #2 team. It did so every year.

In a few years I still suspect we'll see people wishing we'd never left the BCS system.

sunnyjim likes this.
  5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Speaking of SEC dominance...found this tweet to be funny.

Bourbon Ghost @BourbonGhost
    I knew the SEC was the best conference years ago when my phone first autocorrected it to "sex."

ParadiseiNC and VampMuse like this.
  6. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Except for one season when they pollsters put the #1 team against the only team they thought stood a chance them.

I'll go on record for saying I wish they never left the BCS system already.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I still contend that the BCS was very good to LSU. We made it to the big game 3 times. The ironic thing is this: in '03 and '07, we'd have never sniffed the NC without the BCSNCG being in place.

In '11, we WOULD have won the NC under the old bowl system--since we were #1 at the time.

uscvball likes this.
  8. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Did the Sugar Bowl just take whichever conference champion or independent it wanted to play the SEC Champ? I seem to remember Penn State, ND, Miami, Florida State appearing in the game back when they were independent.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Outside of the independents, conference champions were locked into other bowl games. It really wasn't a lot different than it's been in the BCS era with opponents receiving invitations.

We're not really moving away from how it's been in the past with the advent of the "playoff." Your B1G and PAC champs are still headed to the Rose (if they aren't in the playoffs,) SEC's champ to the Sugar, ACC to the Orange, and so on...

10. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I've long been a proponent for the BCS, and I am sad to see it go. In a playoff system, we would have had to play Alabama twice, anyway, so that's a wash.