The SEC and the BCS Era

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 6, 2014.

1. dudley

dudley oops!

The BCS Trophy will be awarded at the end of the 2014 season? Who will they award it to?
    The Coaches Poll will award a Trophy? Who will they award it to?
    If the Coaches Trophy is a Crystal ball and BCS Trophy is a Crystal Ball won't they get it confused? Maybe they can put little stamps on them, like they do the baloney Down at Randall's Supermarket.
    What will the Football Championship Trophy look like? Hope it's not a Crystal Ball.

What about the AP trophy?

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

There is no BCS trophy for 2014. The CFP has a trophy all by itself.

AP will award a trophy as will the Coaches Pol. The winner of the playoff will receive one from the Playoff committee/organization. So there's three.

The AFCA awards one (I'm fairly certain) and the National Football Foundation awards one called the MacArthur Trophy.

I was looking at the following picture a little while ago. This is from 2009.

[​IMG]

BCS (crystal football on top).....to be known as the coaches' trophy
    AP (shiny bronze football on top)
    Macarthur (stadium) NFF
    AFCA (brown football on top)

3. sunnyjim

sunnyjim Founding Member

It seems the Coaches Trophy will be awarded to the winner of the Playoff as it was to the winner of the BCS.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...poll-trophy-college-football-playoff/4458075/

Coaches were also adamant that the crystal football continue to be awarded to the team that finishes first in its poll. Teaff said the AFCA made a deal with the BCS, which didn't have an official trophy, that the winner of the championship game would automatically be voted No. 1. He said he anticipates a similar deal for the CFP winner.

"It's part of the history of college football and will continue to be," he said.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

" He said he anticipates a similar deal for the CFP winner."

That flies directly in the face of...

"With the College Football Playoff replacing the BCS next year, an official trophy is being designed to replace the coaches' iconic piece of Waterford Crystal."

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

There's a big point here that is seemingly being missed.

Those that were advocates for the playoff had a familiar theme, it's getting rid of the human bias found in the polls from the Coaches and the AP.

They've been lying to themselves. The AP poll isn't going away. The Coaches poll isn't going away. Jeff Sagarin's rankings aren't going away. I doubt, seriously doubt, we'll see all the other computer polls go away.

If the committee is deciding on which team fills that number four spot you can damn well be rest assured they'll consult those polls.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

As well they should, they should use every tool at their disposal. Then hash it out with each other no holds barred. They shouldn't have any restraints put on them either.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Most definitely.

A lot suspect that it means the end to the influence of polls, etc.

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Interesting read re: college football playoffs.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/08/ron_higgins.html

About mid-article, the writer includes a section analyzing the BCS era if a playoff were in place throughout it, w/the top 4 teams based on composite rankings. Of course, the current format will be a selection committe, who will in turn, hopefully, rely on composite rankings, but no guarantee. What's interesting to me though is that LSU would have been in 4 of those playoffs, including the 2 NC years. Of note, Mr. Les Miles coached 3 of those teams that would have been in the playoffs. That's strong, IMO! Seeing LSUs name multiple times as my eyes screened down the list made me happy, and proud.

didit, StaceyO and Winston1 like this.