The SECs Fault...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TundraTiger, Nov 23, 2003.

1. TundraTiger

TundraTiger Founding Member

If we dont get into the title game it's the SECs fault. The SEC has a chance to kill 2 birds with one stone. If they would dump their BCS tie-breaker rule and just pick the damn winner of the east this is what would happen if all parties win out:

They pick Tenn/Fla:

Georgia would get the at large bid to BCS game they go to the Fiesta/or Orange anywho, and will probably get revenge of one of those Florida teams for the FLA loss.

Then either LSU or the winner (not gonna happen) gets the Sugar or (if the other terds win) the other bowl (Fiesta/Orange)

2 SEC teams in the BCS games. How do they lose??????????

Do you guys think UGA would be appeased with this decision? They can throw out that stupid rule as quick as they created it.

I think Fla has a harder strength of schedule than Tenn, but their record would be worse. The SEC should break out the numbers crunchers and figure it out. The Championship game would help the SEC out in this manner, AND IT SHOULD BE! Other conferences should follow suit if they see the SEC working the system to their benefit. Then undefeated seasons would be earned!

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Sorry, but as far as Georgia being happy with it, I don't think Georgia would be happy with anything short of an SEC Championship.

3. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Right.

4. TundraTiger

TundraTiger Founding Member

The point of a champion is to beat the best, we already beat UGA and only have to prove something to Fla or TENN at this point realistically. It would more cool the jets of the rising Vols and Flas claims to the east. UGAs arguement is the weakest. No disrespect, I think they are a great team...and would serve the SEC better in a Big BCS money game like Orange or Fiesta.

5. NMTiger

NMTiger Founding Member

To turn the question around, would we be willing to forego the SEC Championship if we were in the same situation? I think not.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Did you feel this way in 2001 when Tenn beat us in the regular season and we won the West tie-breaker with Auburn? I'm sure Tenn would have preferred to play Auburn since they had nothing to prove playing LSU again.

It works both ways...

7. JustinTI

JustinTI Founding Member

But it is not like this is a rule that the SEC has followed for years; it was just put in a couple weeks ago. So no matter what the Bulldogs think, it is not their god-given right to play in the SEC championship game just because of their BCS ranking. They are tied with 2 other teams in 6 ways. Florida and Tennessee have just as much argument for changing this rule because currently non SEC games will decide the East championship.

8. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

Georgia FANS had nothing to do with the decision.

From my point of view, it should have come down to home field victories and losses.

Does Florida deserve to represent the SEC East with two SEC losses at the SWAMP, three losses total at the SWAMP, and a head to head loss to Tennessee at the SWAMP, a team with only two total losses?

Georgia beat Tennessee head to head in Knoxville.

And Georgia had nothing to do with LSU not showing up for the Florida game.
    And Georgia had nothing to do with LSU's scheduling of LA- Monroe, WIU, etc...

Florida will be hard pressed to beat FSU this week anyway.
    And Georgia will probably spank Georgia Tech.

The Bulldogs are the defending 2002 SEC Champions anyway.

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

As much as it would help LSU to face Florida in the SEC Championship game, I don't think the rule is unfair. I think it's a great rule. Not sure why they would have the 'within 5 spots' rule, but I have no problem with them picking the division champion that way as opposed to a vote.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Digressing a bit, if Florida were to beat Fla State this weekend, the Seminoles would have 4 losses yet still in a BCS bowl by virtue of their ACC Championship I don't think this is the 1st time that happened, either. The ACC should be stripped of their BCS conference status and it should be given to the MAC. One team does not a BCS conference make.