The strength of the SEC and Big 12

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikebTiger, Mar 18, 2003.

1. MikebTiger

MikebTiger Founding Member

is noted in this article by Andy Katz. It's been my view for this whole season, and is indicative in the bracket I've filled out. The SEC is one tough, physical conference this year. Success in the SEC makes for one tough team come tourny time.

I'll give props to the Big 12, too. Those leagues are tough and some real competitors will emerge from the big 12 (course if they do they'll wreck my bracket)

My bracket has 4 SEC teams in the Elite 8. I really think that'll happen. But in the end, there are several potential Big 12/SEC matchups that I think the SEC will have the upper hand in. To wit:

LSU/Texas
    Miss State/OK
    Col/FL

I picked SEC teams in each of those match-ups. 2 of those would be upsets, big upsets. The 2 Big 12 No.1's fall to mid-tier SEC seeds. If I pick all three of those right, I'll be money, baby.

Anyway, enjoy the link below for Katz's commentary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney03/columnist?id=1525225&name=katz_andy

2. Deane Pimps LSU

Deane Pimps LSU Freshman

Your sentiment is nice, but 4 teams in the Elite 8? 2 tops. Purdue will beat your Tigers, and Michigan State will manhandle Florida in the paint if they get past Colorado.

Miss. St. has a very real challenge in Butler, one of those teams that doesn't scream at you with athleticism, but is a disciplined team that won't make many mistakes. Plus, they went to the "mecca" of college arenas at Cameron, so I don't see them being phased much. If you recall, they almost sent Florida packing in the first round in 2000, the year they played in the championship game. It took a Mike Miller buzzer beater to save them. They are my pick to knock of a 5 seed.

3. MikebTiger

like I said - 2 of my picks would be

upsets.

pretty weak to harken back to the 2000 tourny as any indication of how a team will perform in 2003, huh? With the way Miss State is playing right now, I just do not see it happening.

You wanna talk 12 seeds? Weber State over Wisconsin. There's only going to be one 12 knocking off a 5, if any. That's my guess.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Deane you really don't know much about the SEC. First off, Purdue will not beat LSU. The Tigers are too athletic, too quick, too unselfish and too experienced for your plodding herd of Brahma bulls. 2nd, Michigan State will get blown out by Florida. They lost a few at the end but, believe me, they are Final Four material. Mississippi State is a well coached, very athletic team with an All America in the middle. Butler will be out of their league. What they did 2 years ago is of absolutely no consequence.

5. SabanFan

I don't know why Deane didn't come back and blast me for this post...but...has anyone been more wrong than I was?

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Wonder if Deane was an odds-maker he hit them all on the head.

7. SabanFan

Don't know but he sure pimped my a$$. I am not easily humbled but right now my hat is in my hands.:)

8. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

I find it interesting how the Big 10 is winning games against the SEC due to being more physical. Once I started thinking about it, only Kentucky is a really physical team. Most SEC teams are just like us, 3 point shot oriented that frees up the inside game. As long as officials let teams in the tourney play physical and foul alot (as related to what type of game we play during the year) the SEC (other than Kentucky) will struggle. Anyone agree?

9. MikebTiger

bracket has taken direct hit....

must eject!! Must eject!! Repeat, bracket has taken direct hit. Must eject! must eject!

My wife is ahead of me in our home "pool." I win, I get a hummer, she wins, she gets her cell phone bill paid (which is like a gazillion dollars this month). I guess she was pretty confident. (Confident in my ineptitude in picking tourny winners).

I just looked at my standings in the ESPN contest. I am in 57146th place.

I know nothing.

Very humbling.:(

10. tigerdoc88

tigerdoc88 Founding Member

I'm in 856577th place. I really thought I knew something about basketball. I've played, coached and everything. Thursday I was in good shape. Then it all fell apart. The SEC has failed me, and I think Auburn keeps winning just to spite me. Plus the Big East has yet to lose a game. I'm never making a bracket again.