The top schools in the 3 major sports (cumulative)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

here is mine..

1. LSU
    2. Texas
    3. USC
    4. Florida
    5 Miami
    6. Stanford
    7. Georgia Tech
    8. Ole Miss
    9.NC State
    10. Clemson

2. el tigre

el tigre Freshman

How is Oklahoma not on this list???

They were runner ups in football, have a strong basketball team, and usally have a solid baseball team (won the CWS in 1994). I would put them in the top 5 of that list.

3. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

1. Tulane
    2. Buffalo
    3. ULL
    4. ULM
    5. UL any other letter you want to put here
    6. SMU
    7. UAB*
    8. Miami Ohio *
    9. Idaho
    10. Vermont

OOPS. I did it backwards didn't I?

* I'll never forget!

4. BB

BB Founding Member

You have to put Stanford on the list, no question. What they do each and every year across the board is amazing - especially when you stop to think about how small the school is and how incredibly high their academic standards are.

5. RabidTiger

RabidTiger Founding Member

why would you put more weight on football? other schools place more emphasis on other sports more so than football as we put more emphasis on football over most sports...It should have same emphasis on all

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well let's face it, football is the bread winner and deserves the most emphasis. Basketball is a fairly close second in terms of fan participation and viewership and baseball a distant third.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

If you're going to compare a program on the 3 major sports then do it equally, don't make football more important just because we won the NC. And then base it on fact not on opinions, especially when so many of the opions were based on false assumptions. And we really shouldn't do this based on rankings but I know you did because it makes LSU look much better than using last yearresults and that's o.k. but we need to wait till this years results are in instead of using rankings, we all know how bad rankings can be.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

NC had a down year? Tell their fans that, they've been calling for the Fb coahes head for a while now.

9. islstl

I made corrections to the list. You made valid points about Stanford and North Carolina. I also tried to give equal weight to all 3 sports. Refer to the initial post for my updated list.

I do not agree with placing USC on this list. Their basketball team is not very good and their baseball team is not rated in the top 25. I have no idea how far down their program is this year, but to not be rated in 2 sports (and basketball they are way down), I cannot see placing them above schools who are doing at least decently well in 2 sports.

10. islstl

As stated I updated my list with FACTS (could only use rankings to support my results) and not just educated guesses as I had initially done. That was a slip on my part, as I am usually very good at backing up stuff like this. There is obviously some opinion thrown in as I had to make decisions on the cumulative records and how that positioned a team in my list. For instance, does Stanford being so bad in football or the fact that they are so highly rated in 2 of the 3 sports more important?

One thing you cannot argue is that LSU and Texas are the 2 top teams in this list when all is said and done.