The truth of the matter about Les Miles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by WestCoastTiger, Nov 20, 2010.

1. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

Many, many on this board have taken shots at coach Les Miles (I'm part of that group) although I've sat on the sidelines for the most part this year. For that we all have to man up and look at both sides.

Does he make unusual calls, quotes and his baffling rants? Yes. I'm not sure that will stop anytime soon. That's just who the man is.

This team is 10-1 without a legit SEC caliber QB (although Jefferson has shown something since the 2nd half of the Alabama game). For all of his bizarre ways I believe this: Miles cares a great deal about his players and LSU. He is an outstanding recruiter and is a risk taker. By most accounts he is a good man. Pretty soon some of us may even begin to call him a "dam good coach".

Regardless of what happens next week, 11-1 or 10-2 without a real QB he deserves credit for the accomplishments of this team.

3 people like this.
  2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

This. Nothing else to say. Can't wait until someone goes and drudges up the preseason threads. Very few had 10 wins.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

not to mention it's been a hell of a ride with him as our coach, and I for one hope that ride doesn't end anytime soon.

4. kluke

kluke Founding Member

The truth of the matter is Les Miles is a very good football coach who has built a very good football team. This is totally his team, and I don't just mean he doesn't have any of Saban's players anymore. I mean these are his players and his coaches and they are a reflection of his personality and character. Which is a very good thing.

5. Uncle Milty

Uncle Milty Founding Member

I'm all in on everything you said. I wouldn't take anybody else for him, he seems a fine man. And dang, but his kids will make a play for him when the pressure's on.

I have to say this though. Sometimes, watching LSU play, as a fan, can be just EXCRUCIATING. When the Tigers blew having a 14 pt. lead in the first half after that 1st. and goal at the 1, I looked at my wife and told her that this is where they give up having an easy game, and end up with something that gets decided in the last 2 minutes. Sure enough, Ole Miss goes right down the field and it's a 3 point lead at the half instead of 14. And we all saw how crazy it got in the second half.

Oh well, the one thing it isn't is boring, right? I just hope I haven't ground all my teeth down to nubs by the end of this seaon.

6. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

I certainly didn't see 10 wins from this team. I was thinking 8-4 to an remote chance at 9-3.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I predicted 10-2, but I expected to get more out of the QB position than we did this year. JJ's play since the 2nd half against Bama is more what I expected with 2 Jr. QB's. I hope LSU beats Arky and exceeds my expectations.

I guess Les will get his one year extension easily with this season. Most satisfying win has to be over Bama, shutting up little Nicky.

8. roynav

roynav free your mind

Good thread.

I probably shouldnt admit this, but I gave up watching LSU football live a few years ago under Miles. I just can't take all the close games. Get way too worked up. Now I record all the games.

1 person likes this.
  9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Because of this, I think this year has been one of his best as coaching the team. Name the other coaches that could accomplish a winning record in the SEC with below average QB play, let alone a 10 win season. That list would be very small. The best Alabama's coach could do was 8 wins when Marcus Randall was the QB.

I also think the signature of ALL of Miles coached LSU teams is that there's never any quit in them. More times then not, they always seem to find ways to win games. It may not always be pretty, but when it comes down to it, the scoreboard is all that counts.

10. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

I watched 2008 and knew it was coaching that keep the wheels from falling off. All you had to do was live through Dinardo's last season to realize what kind of a job he did in getting 8 wins. The dude is maddened frustration, a sometimes iffy game manager and seems to at a loss to find the right string of words but the is a hell of a coach and human being.